How To Watch PC Video Files On TV?

Old 01-20-07, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How To Watch PC Video Files On TV?

I have a pc (win. XP) on which I have copied many CSPAN video files (I think they are Realplayer files) & wish to be able to watch them on my TV which is in the adjacent room. I would have no problem running wires from the PC to the TV, but I'm not sure what equipment I would need to accomplish this?? (would a PC TV-tuner work?)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-07, 10:19 AM
A PC tuner is for watching TV on your PC. You just need a TV out conection. Your video card may already have this feature. It is probably an S-Video connection. Check on the back of your PC for an S-Video TV out connection right by the monitor connection.

Old 01-20-07, 11:57 AM
Thanks for your reply.....My PC does appear to have the S-video connector on the back. Now let me really confuse the issue<G>:
While I have digital & HD TV's elsewhere in the house, the TV in the room that I want to connect to the PC is just a 10 year old regular Sony CRT. In addition, just to confuse things a bit more<G> the audio section of the TV is burnt out & I have it connected to a small audio integrated amp for sound. In other words, I have a separate cable box connected to this TV through composite outputs in this way:
Cable box video out connected directly to the composite video in of the TV (as the video works fine)
Cable box Audio outs connected to a separate audio amp (& spkrs) for sound

1. The distance between the pc & the TV is about 40 feet. What wire should I use to connect the S-video out (on the pc) terminating in RCA plugs to connect to the TV & audio amp inputs?
(would cat-5 work & can you connect an S-video plug one end & RCA ends to the other?)

Told you I was going to confuse the issue!<G>

Old 01-20-07, 01:35 PM
S video provides video, nothing else. You would need a converter to convert the S video to some other format.

Why are you doing this? Just watch the video on the computer and be done with it.

Old 01-22-07, 06:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Perhaps he wants more than 2 people to watch the video at the same time..

Devil
An S-video cable is too short for your purpose, and I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better way to do it, other than recording the files to a DVD or a Video CD..

Old 01-22-07, 07:49 AM
You can buy S-video cables in any size you want.

Old 01-22-07, 11:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With signal losses for a 50ft cable, the better cables are about $50..