Computer Noise Fix: What did I do right?

Old 01-21-07, 05:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Computer Noise Fix: What did I do right?

If anything at all...

A lot of noise. I have had two fans replaced on an otherwise solid performing Dell 4600. Actually, last time it really just needed a good cleaning but the free home tech came over with a new fan after I cleaned it and said 'as long as I'm here...'

A lot of noise from start up to shut down - maybe could've been the HD. I opened the case, snooped around, not much dirt at all, no clogged vents etc. So I closed it up, started it up and it's been running quietly since.

Was it just clamoring for my attention? Is this just one of those inexplicable screw ball things that happen sometimes with machines? Or is there a reasonable explanation for this correction?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-07, 06:03 AM
Computer noise happens quite frequently. In many cases, the cause can be due to IDE cables or wiring getting pushed next to one of many moving fan blades. Recently, I rooted around through my computer attempting to reseat some memory sticks. I closed the case after a recent such forray only to shove an end from a plastic cable tie through the steel cage on the cpu fan. Restarting the computer and the rapid ticking was apparent.

Just one of many possibilities. Anything with moving parts is suspect, I.E. Fans, Harddrives, cd-ROM's, disc driives (3.5" or Zip)

bs5

Old 01-25-07, 12:53 PM
It could be one of three things:

1: the fan was loose, and reattaching the case sungged it.

2: Something got unplugged.

3: Something got caught in one of the fans.