How To Enable S-Video Out?

Old 01-24-07, 12:22 PM
How To Enable S-Video Out?

I want to connect my HP PC (running Win XP) to a TV in the den. There is an S-Video connection on the back of my PC (that came with the computer & that I assume is an output connected to the video card) but when I connect an S-Video cable from my PC to the TV, it shows no signal on the S-Video connection of the TV. Do I have to enable this S-Video connection, somehow? (my video card is a Radeon 9600 I think)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-07, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Here's some info, Devil; hope it helps:

http://www.svideo.com/displayvideo.html

Old 01-24-07, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Go into the video settings and set it up for dual monitors..
When you have the screen on your PC monitor that you want on the TV, drag it to the side of the desktop and it should appear on the TV.. The TV is your second monitor..

Old 01-24-07, 02:23 PM
Yes you do. Right click on the desktop. Click properties. Click Settings. Click advanced. Click displays. There should be a section for TV. Click the icon in the top left of that box to enable that display. Inside the TV box, there should be two icons (one with a circle and one with two boxes). Click the one with two boxes to clone your desktop on the TV. Click OK until you are back to your desktop.

Old 01-24-07, 02:24 PM
I have done that before under XP pro. The only thing I had to do was set the tv to the right mode. It has to be set to receive and show Svideo signals. I don't think I had to set anything on the PC

Old 01-24-07, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by kchinth View Post
Yes you do. Right click on the desktop. Click properties. Click Settings. Click advanced. Click displays. There should be a section for TV. Click the icon in the top left of that box to enable that display. Inside the TV box, there should be two icons (one with a circle and one with two boxes). Click the one with two boxes to clone your desktop on the TV. Click OK until you are back to your desktop.
Thanks for all your help. I followed your directions but when I get to the Display tab, there are 4 choices, one of which is TV. It has a red "X" on it & will not allow me to select it. Only the "Monitor" box is enabled. (I think I had CCity install the Radeon video card when I bought the computer & my monitor connects to this card..... Not sure if that is the problem???)
In any case, here is what I'm trying to do:
The TV that I'm trying to connect to (as a 2nd monitor) is a new LCD with many inputs......Coax, composite,vga, S-video...etc
(I realize that I will have to connect a separate audio line also)

What I am trying to acheive is to be able to watch streaming C-SPAN videos on this TV, rather than having to sit at my desk.

So now I have 2 question:

1. How do I enable 2 monitors? (one being the TV)
2. Does it matter what type of connection I use to connect th TV since I have a number of connection choices?
Thanks

Old 01-24-07, 06:16 PM
Make sure the TV is on and set to the S-video input before you try and enable it in your computer settings. Sometimes if the TV is off, it won't let you enable the TV output on your computer.

Old 01-25-07, 06:31 AM
In all reality, I'd be willing to bet that that S-Video port is an INPUT, not and OUTPUT. It is probably a TV-input video capture card so you could capture video from a TV or analogue source.

Even if it is an output, you are going to be amazingly disappointed with how it will look on your TV. S-Video won't give you the resolution that you are looking for. All the text will be very blurry and nothing will look crisp. You'll be able to see what you're looking at, but the picture quality will be horrible. The only real visually acceptable way to use a TV as a monitor would be to set the resolution to its lowest setting or to have a tv with a VGA input. If you have a VGA input, your TV will look perfect and will perform like a large monitor with the clarity that you'd expect.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-07, 06:50 AM
slacey99:
"I'd be willing to bet that that S-Video port is an INPUT, not and OUTPUT."

I don't think so. Look up a Radeon 9600. It has an S-video TV output.

slacey99:
"Even if it is an output, you are going to be amazingly disappointed with how it will look on your TV. S-Video won't give you the resolution that you are looking for. All the text will be very blurry and nothing will look crisp."

I agree that text would be hard to read, but if you read his post, he only wants to watch videos. S-video will work fine for that.

Old 01-25-07, 04:25 PM
slacey99:
"I'd be willing to bet that that S-Video port is an INPUT, not and OUTPUT."

I don't think so. Look up a Radeon 9600. It has an S-video TV output.

slacey99:
"Even if it is an output, you are going to be amazingly disappointed with how it will look on your TV. S-Video won't give you the resolution that you are looking for. All the text will be very blurry and nothing will look crisp."

I agree that text would be hard to read, but if you read his post, he only wants to watch videos. S-video will work fine for that.
Again, thanks for all your input! I finaly did locate the Radeon 9600 owners manual & you were right..... it does say to make sure the S-video cable is connected & the TV turned on before booting. (the S-video is an output BTW)

I sent away (Monprice.com) for a 50' S-video cable (which also has an audio miniplug) & will hook things up when the cable comes.
I'm not really concerned with the pic quality as all I will be watching are congressional hearings streamed on CSPAN3.
I was talking with a very knowledgeable tech at C.City who explained that streaming video just doesn't have the bandwidth (as yet) to allow a really good picture to be sent over the internet anyway.

Old 01-25-07, 08:50 PM
"a very knowledgeable tech at C.City"

Boy is that ever an oxymoron.

Old 01-26-07, 02:08 PM
Sounds like you have the same card as I do, with three outputs:

1)VGA - likely your current monitor is plugged to that.
2)S-video - a shabby standard, see earlier posts.
3)DVI-I - a crazy highspeed multipurpose connector taking analogue or digital, many multiples better than either of the above.

If you use an LCD monitor it may already be plugged to DVI-I, or just (typical, adequate) VGA.

Sounds like your new "TV" is really a big digital LCD (a monitor). I'm sure it has a DVI connector. DVI comes in three flavours: DVI-A (analogue, as in HDTV), DVI-D (digital), and DVI-I (universal). In any case a DVI-I cable is keyed such that it'll connect to any type. Note DVI signals can be stretched about 25' max.

Old 01-26-07, 08:10 PM
DVI or VGA would provide the best quality, but he needs to run the cable about 40 feet, so S-Video is his best option.

Old 01-26-07, 09:39 PM
With a DVI line booster he could go 80'

...for $240-$400. Ack. It's smaller than a pack of cigarettes.

Old 01-26-07, 10:45 PM
Make sure the TV is on and set to the S-video input before you try and enable it in your computer settings. Sometimes if the TV is off, it won't let you enable the TV output on your computer.
:sigh: why didn't I think of that. I bet that is the problem. Shouldn't have to set anything on the computer under XP. My old P3 Dell lappy was plug and play with Svideo. True about the blurry picture. An average TV does not have the res of an average monitor. Movies and such doesn't look too bad though.