no standby problem

Old 01-27-07, 03:31 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no standby problem

My windows xp home media version has several problems. This is one problem when I go to shutdown mode and click standby it goes to standby for about 10 seconds, The monitor goes to sleep and everything.
In about 10 or so seconds it boots back up on its own with no movment of mouse or key strokes.Any Ideas?
Computer is a H/P pavilion a1640n.

Old 01-27-07, 03:58 PM
R
You may have it set to exit standby when it receives activity on the network cable. If this is the case turn that feature off and , more importantly, determine why you have network traffic (which may or may be okay).

Old 01-27-07, 04:24 PM
M
?

What is network traffic? I have cable hookup and how do I check for this traffic?

Old 01-28-07, 06:09 PM
K
Your computer BIOS has some "wake on..." event abilities. Could wake on mouse activity, for example, even USB mouse powering down when the mouse decides to sleep.

Try standby with keyboard, mouse unplugged.

Try standby with mouse, keyboard unplugged.

No other computers hooked up to this machine? Printer? Scanner? Camera? Eliminate the possibilities.

Whatever your internet cable first plugs into, are there activity lights there?

You can get into BIOS and check machine power settings by tap-tapping F1 during startup. Try disabling all "wake" settings, and "after PC power failure" "stay off".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: