WEP encryption

Old 01-28-07, 03:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
WEP encryption

Hello again-
I had posted earlier this week concerning a slow I.E. 7 page load and possible snooping by my neighbors as I am using a wireless router. My question is this: How do I know if my wireless connection is protected by WPA or some other method such as WEP? I went to the website for my wireless router (it is a Netgear wgr614v6) and found that it supports 64,128, & 152 WEP. How do I know if its turned on? Do I have to set this up myself or is it automatic? If it is turned on does this mean that if a family member shows up with their own wireless computer that they cannot log on to my network? I need some help here. I was not able to find out anywhere on Netgear's website how to setup a WEP.
Thanks.
Ray.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-07, 07:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You need to logon to your router as admin..
In your browser address bar, type in 192.168.1.1 It could also be 192.168.0.1
Read the manual for specific info..

You need to go to the wireless security page to change things..
If your router supports WPA or WPA2 use that instead of WEP..
Use 128 or 152 bit security, and write down whatever you put in the strings..

Old 01-28-07, 11:37 AM
Thanks so much AxlMyk! That did the trick. I now have a WPA-PSK secured network. The only problem is this: I cannot logon to it. Not becuase I forgot the password, but when I turn on the wireless feature on my computer, it doesn't show any networks in range even though my wireless router is up and running. I am still able to connect to the internet through a RJ45 jack from my router to computer. Oh well, I guess there's more work to do. Any suggestions?

Old 01-28-07, 12:01 PM
Turn on broadcasting of the network name temporarily. Your PC will see it. Then make the connection. Then turn off broadcasting of the network name.

You did change the network name, right?

Your final step will be to enable MAC address filtering. To do this you will have to determine the MAC address of your PC.

Of course, all of these steps are completely outlines in the manual for the router. You did read that manual right?

Old 01-28-07, 01:05 PM
Hi Bob-
Thanks as always for your sage advice. I hope I don't get spanked too hard, but no I did not read the wireless manual router. But, here's the catch I finally read it and it was useless. My local cable co. had a quick installation guide, and I went by that. I didn't even know about a secured network and how to set it up, nor was it explained or suggested anywhere. The manual was useless. The place I am finding all the setup info is online at the IP adress given by Axlmyk. I am still at a loss as to how to connect, however I will explain what I have done so far based on your instructions, as well as Axlmyk.

I changed my network name from the default.
I did as you suggested to turn on the broadcast of the network name, but it was already on. Here is the following data that was presented to me about my network on the Netgear page:
Wireless Radio Router-Enabled.
SSID Broadcast-Enabled

Internet Port:
Displays my MAC Address
DHCP-DHCP Client
IP subnet-all zeros
Domain server-all zeros.

Wireless Port:
SSID-displays the name I gave my network
Wireless AP-On
Broadcast name-On.

I tried turning off my computer, router and cable modem. Rebooted by turning on cable modem first, 30 secs later wireless router, 1 min. later my computer. No luck.
I went to network connections on my 'puter. Enabled wireless connections.
Got message-No networks found in range. Clicked "refresh networks list". None found. Wahhhh!
Ray.

Old 01-28-07, 01:18 PM
More info-
Under basic settings at Netgears website it has a page entitled ""Wireless card access list". It is currently not on. If I wish to turn this on it has the following info boxes to fill in:
Device Name MAC Address
Add Edit Delete

Do I do something with this?
Ray

Old 01-28-07, 01:21 PM
One other thing-
There is no place on Netgears website that I can find to turn on MAC filtering.
Ray.

Old 01-28-07, 01:52 PM
First of all, what windows are you running? What I am about to tell you depends on you having windows XP sp2.

If you can't pick up your wireless network with your laptop (or computer with wireless card), try adding a wireless network to your laptop.

1. Find your wireless network connection properties.
2. Select the wireless networks tab.
3. Use windows to configure your wireless settings.
4. In the area you see "preferred wireless networks", click "add...".
5. Type in your SSID that you chose in your wireless router.
6. under "Network Authentication", select WPA-PSK
7. Now type in your network key which you created when you enabled security.
8. Click OK and you should be able to find your network.

Old 01-28-07, 02:52 PM
Do not refer to the local router settings as NetGear's website. This will only mislead people. When you access the local router, via a local IP address, such as 192.168.0.1 or something similar, you are accessing the local router settings.

The router companies don't want to deal with people who have no clue about networking and security, so they make their routers default to no security. Ignorant people hook them up and use them this way, not realizing that they are sharing their connection and their computer data with anyone within range, including people who drive around and look for home PCs to break into.

The easiest way to deal with this issue id to make your ISP help you. They have tech support people whose job it is to talk novices through secure installations.

If you won't go that route, or if you have a lousy ISP, then I suggest that you start over. Turn off wireless security on the router and make sure that you can connect. Then turn it on, one item at a time. Start with WEP, WPA, or WPA2, the highest that both your computer and the router support. Do this with DHCP turned on and with your computer looking to be assigned an IP address.

Then turn off DHCP, select a different IP address subnet, and hard code your computer with an IP address in the correct subnet.

Then turn off broadcasting.

Finally, turn on MAC address filtering and specify the MAC address of your PC to the router.

Old 01-28-07, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Do not refer to the local router settings as NetGear's website. This will only mislead people. When you access the local router, via a local IP address, such as 192.168.0.1 or something similar, you are accessing the local router settings.

The router companies don't want to deal with people who have no clue about networking and security, so they make their routers default to no security. Ignorant people hook them up and use them this way, not realizing that they are sharing their connection and their computer data with anyone within range, including people who drive around and look for home PCs to break into.

The easiest way to deal with this issue id to make your ISP help you. They have tech support people whose job it is to talk novices through secure installations.

If you won't go that route, or if you have a lousy ISP, then I suggest that you start over. Turn off wireless security on the router and make sure that you can connect. Then turn it on, one item at a time. Start with WEP, WPA, or WPA2, the highest that both your computer and the router support. Do this with DHCP turned on and with your computer looking to be assigned an IP address.

Then turn off DHCP, select a different IP address subnet, and hard code your computer with an IP address in the correct subnet.

Finally, turn on MAC address filtering and specify the MAC address of your PC to the router.
Hi,

As a moderator your choice of words is not very good; 'Ignorant people'! Get off your high horse!

You don't need to spank everyone. You can teach without condescending, makes you look a lot smarter and informative if you don't. Not all ISPs' provide the service you speak of. The service is generally charged for, and rightfully so. I come from academia and see a lot of people like you. Yes, engineering!

As for your statement about router companies not wanting to deal with people for the security setup, baloney. The router/modem is set to default 'not secure' to allow people to get into the equipment to setup the system locally. By professionals and lay people.

To the 'OP', the address 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 is used to gain access to the web administration page of the router/modem. You can then perform maintenance, setup or just view logs for diagnostic purposes.

I would suggest that you setup your system as a static IP at present, use something in the subnet of the router/modem. If your router/modem IP is 192.168.0.1 then you can set you static IP within the range up to 192.168.0.2 thru 192.168.0.99 if your router/modem is the dhcp server.

Get things working with the static IP first. You can then enable your security with wep/wpa once the system is linked with the wireless router/modem. Make sure the key you use is unique and entered properly. Do a google on wep/wpa for key generators, there's a lot out there. Then use the key for the route/modem and your system.

Last edited by onebuck; 01-29-07 at 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old 01-28-07, 04:02 PM
Make sure the network name is the same for the router and any computers you want to connect to it..

Old 01-28-07, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE/] Do a google on wep/wpa for key generators, there's a lot out there. Then use the key for the route/modem and your system.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to search for a special key. Anything you type will work. The best keys are a combination of letters and numbers.

Old 01-28-07, 06:48 PM
Oh well-now I did it. Went back to the default settings through Netgears website (unencrypted my network). Rebooted my cable modem, router and computer. Now my computer does not recognize my unencrypted wireless LAN. I tried refresh networks list, repair wireless connection. All to no avail. I am back to hardwire through RJ45 jack. At least there is no possibility of snooping, as I am going directly through my router and not the LAN. Thanks to all who tried to help, but I am just tired of this bull____ after working on it for over 4 hours. I give up.
Ray.

Old 01-28-07, 06:53 PM
tae
you guys are making this way to hard for him.
turn off the computer and modem.
unplug your rj45 from the computer.

reset the router as per the instructions in your manual.
1. Press the reset button on the back until the test light blinks. This takes about 10 seconds. (To avoid accidental resets, the small button is recessed. Use a pen or paperclip to access it.)
2. Release the button.
3. Wait for the router to reboot.
4. Log in with the default password.

If the router was not cleared, try these additional steps AFTER the router has finished rebooting.
5. Unplug the router's power.
6. Press and hold the reset button. While the button is held down, reconnect router's power.
7. Continue to hold the reset button for 20 seconds after reconnecting the power.
8. Wait for the router to reboot.
9. Log in with the default password.

turn off the router.
turn on the modem, and wait till it has full connection.
turn on the router, and wait till it is fully functional.
turn on your computer.
turn off the windows firewall.

access the router
Run the router's SmartWizard. This lets the router discover whether you have a static or dynamic IP address, and whether you are using PPPoE to connect to your ISP.
Click Test to access NETGEAR's online test page. If the page displays, then you have Internet access!

get working to this point before doing anything else. let us know.

knowledgebase on your router:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgr614v6.asp

Old 01-29-07, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post

Why not turn on MAC filtering before you disable the broadcast SSID ? I'm new to wireless and had a challenging time getting the security features working on my laptop and Linksys AP.

Old 01-29-07, 12:26 PM
The exact order is not that important. What is important is that ALL possible security features be turned ion for the best possible security.

Old 01-29-07, 02:19 PM
No matter what security method you use, it can be defeated.. Do not do banking, or purchasing using wireless..