Network performance testing

Old 01-30-07, 12:26 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Network performance testing

I just added 2 PC's to my router ( which i forgot the password to access ) and have them networked together. All seems fine , however i would like to know if there is any software i can use to test the speed from the host pc to the 2 client pc's. I would like to be sure everything has a good connection and the performace isn't diminished in any way. If so i would redo the connection untill i get it perfect.

Old 01-30-07, 04:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Transfer a huge file (1gig+)from one to the other and time it with a stop watch.. Then do the math.. OR Google network speed test ..

Old 01-30-07, 04:47 AM
R
And just what would you redo? Either the connection is there or it isn't. While it might be intermittent, you would notice that.

Old 01-30-07, 07:27 AM
P
Thumbs down Redo

Racraft:

And just what would you redo? Either the connection is there or it isn't. While it might be intermittent, you would notice that.

When i said "redo" i'm sure you know i was refering to resecuring all connections to their corresponding jacks. This is the first time i wired
any Cat5. I'm sure your already aware that testers are very expensive
for this sort of thing and HEY why do they even make them "Either the connection is there or it isn't" right?

From your reply i gather you don't feel my post is worthy of a response ,so i ask, why bother to reply. I hate to come across comments like this, i've seen it many times on other forums when people ask quesitons they either get flammed,ridiculed or have thier questions answered with a question.

Old 01-30-07, 07:45 AM
you can always use the ping command .

Old 01-30-07, 08:00 AM
R
Phe0nix,

I am sorry you don't like my response. My point is this. If your connection works, there is nothing to redo. If your connection is intermittent then you will notice that fairly quickly in normal use. If your connection does not work, then it does not work, and you would have already noticed that.

Don't redo connections to make them better. Redo them to repair them.

As for speed, all tests are relative. Even if you know the speed, what are you going to compare it to? Without a baseline, you have nothing to compare it to. The speed is dependent on so many things.

Old 01-30-07, 05:59 PM
P
Performance

Thanks Mango Man for using the term "Ping" i didn't think of that when i googled, i was using the words test,benchmark and speed as well as a few others. I ran across "perfping" which transfers the size file of your choosing from one PC to another and draws a graph and you can see just how fast the transfers are. It shows you the speed in KBit/s,MBit/s and GBit/s and will also give you your avg speed. This test is called "PerCopy" and there are also 2 other tests you can perform.

I ran 2 network cables one of which i had a hard time with when using the puch tool, it didn't want to set the wires so i had to use a knife and needle nose pliers. I wanted too sure about this cable installation. When i compaired the speed between the 2 PC's that i ran the RJ45 to the one i did manually was always querky. I added a PCI NIC card to replace the intergraded one that i was using and now the performace has dramatically imporved. I suppose it could have also been driver issues, either way the transfer results from perfping are just about equal now.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: