Application backup

Old 01-30-07, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Application backup

The hard drive in my home desktop PC failed and now it is accessible only as an external or secondary hard drive. I have installed a new HD with XP installed. Do you know if there is any application that could copy some selected applications/programs from the old HD to the new one? I don't need a full disk image backup because that would mess up the XP on the new HD.

I tried to manually copy the folders in c:\program files but it didnt work because there are other dependent files hidden somewhere else. I guess this is probably a common issue.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-07, 09:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Go to Control Panel, Folder Options.. Click on View, and select Show hidden files and folders.. Any other files may be in a system folder and will be harder to destinguish from files from other programs..
You could just copy data files, reinstall the program to the new drive, and plug the data into the new install..

Old 01-30-07, 10:14 AM
When you install an application, there are many items that are written to the registry and many files are written to the Windows directory. It would be nearly impossible to manually copy an application from one hard drive to another. There are some applications that don't write to the registry or other folder locations.

What application are you trying to copy? It may be possible to install the application on the new hard drive and copy some data or preferences file from the old hard drive.

Old 01-30-07, 10:52 AM
When ever you install a program to Windows you need to keep the original installation program. This means either the CD or DVD that the program came from, or the file(s) that you downloaded from the Internet.

You then install the program from the original installation media to the new hard drive. At that point you can, if you want, attempt to get settings, data files, etc. for the program off the old hard drive.

Old 01-30-07, 11:32 AM
I believe I hear a couple echos here..
Was my answer not good enough?

Old 01-30-07, 12:20 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Hard Drive

What is the drive designation of the old and new drives? The old drive may no longer be c:\.

Old 01-30-07, 12:20 PM
I was simply providing more information about how applications are installed and why his process didn't work.

Old 01-30-07, 12:22 PM
"What is the drive designation of the old and new drives? The old drive may no longer be c:\."

This has nothing to do with his issue. He installed windows on a separate hard drive than the application. He needs to reinstall the application.

Old 01-30-07, 02:12 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Drive

The poster is attempting to retrieve data from the old drive.

Old 01-30-07, 03:12 PM
He is attempting to retrieve an entire program/s, w/data..

Old 01-31-07, 05:53 PM
tae
If the old drive failed, it wouldnt be accessable as anything. Apparently you just had some booting issues. As others have said, you cant just take an installed program from one drive to another. For example, if it has word installed, you cant just copy the folder marked "word" to the other drive. It has files all over the place that get installed. You can salvage various program settings like in your email program(outlook or thunderbird), or settings in your browser, like your favorites and even saved game files. If you can access the drive as a secondary, you may be able to get the program to run from there. Some will, some wont. if they were important, i would try to have a computer shop see if they can get it to boot without losing your data.

Also, if it is now installed as a secondary, it will not be c drive anymore.