Sloooooow Computer

Old 02-05-07, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sloooooow Computer

My home computer has now for several weeks been extremely slow. It takes several minutes to boot up initially. I am on a cable ISP. It takes forever to go from one screen to another, or one site to another. The indicator light on my CPU shows that it is spending a great deal of time 'reading' the hard drive. When I look at Task Manager, it shows very high percentage of CPU usage, often 100%. I have run my diagnostics and it says that I do not need to defrag the hard drive. I have been told that if I have too many items in start-up that may cause my problems, but I do not know how to tell what is in start-up. Can anyone give me some suggestions from afar that might help me to clear up this slow-down? Thanks

Old 02-05-07, 11:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Click on Start - Programs - Startup and see what is there.. You can delete everything there.. Right click - delete on each entry.. It doesn't delete the programs, just the shortcut..
See if that helps things..

Old 02-05-07, 11:56 AM
R
If this began happening all of a sudden then it is likely the results of a new program or process running. This could be something you (or someone you know) installed, or it could be spy-ware or a bot that was installed without your knowledge. Do you have decent and up to date anti-virus and anti-spy-ware software in place? Have you scanned for viruses and spy-ware since this started?

If this has been building up over time and if you regularly are installing new programs and such then it is likely that you now have more running than you need to have. Almost all of us are guilty of installing programs, using them for a short while, and then forgetting to remove them. Over time all of this add to the overhead of the OS and eventually causes problems. You can fix some of this by turning off or by uninstalling (removing) programs you don;t use anymore or use infrequently. However, eventually ever Windows system slows down from overhead. Problems (bugs) in the OS don't allow some programs to uninstall properly, or leave excess files in place, etc. When this occurs the only solution is a complete reformat and reinstall of the OS.

Old 02-05-07, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have a current Zone Alarm Security Suite running(anti-virus, anti-spy ware, etc.) I have seriously considered re-formating my hard drive and reinstalling my OS. What is the proper way to do this?

Old 02-05-07, 12:08 PM
R
In order to reformat your hard drive and start over, you must have either an original install image (sometimes provided as a separate partition on the original hard drive) or the appropriate installation CDs for the operating system and for programs that came with the PC.

You also need ALL the installation CDs for or the installation programs for any and all programs you installed after you bought the PC that you still want to use.

The procedure is not too difficult.

First you make a complete backup of all the data on your hard drive . This means any and every data file, document, configuration file, etc. for the programs you use. I always do this by completely copying my hard drive to an external USB drive.

Then you either boot from the operating system install disk, or boot to the recover menu of the OS and follow directions. You want to do a new install, including reformatting the hard drive. You do not want to attempt to recover, or simply install the OS on top of the previous or in addition to the previous install.

Old 02-05-07, 12:10 PM
AHHHHHH

Zone Alarm issue here. Previous Versions of zone alarm will use almost 100% of your CPU. Uninstall zone alarm, and reinstall.

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html

Google: Zone Alarm + CPU usage

you will see the trend with ZA

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 02-05-07 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added: google
Old 02-05-07, 01:33 PM
Hotin OKC, Are you saying that if I uninstall ZA, then reinstall it, that should help clear up the problem, or are you suggesting that I uninstall it to observe the difference with and without? Thanks, Thiggy

Old 02-05-07, 01:40 PM
You can do either or. I would suggest going to zone alarms website for tech support on the proper repair instructions. I can almost guarentee that is the problem you are having. Hopefully they have a free tech support telephone line you could call.

Old 02-05-07, 09:20 PM
R
Ummmm....stating the obvious here. Make sure the fan over your CPU is sailing away like it's supposed to. If it's slowing down even a little, it can slow the CPU functions down. They're cheap to replace and you can even clean/re-oil them if you're a cheapskate like me.;-) Those little fans get unbelievably dirty.....and I heard if they go completely dead, you can lose your CPU.

Old 02-07-07, 07:14 AM
Hi:
There is definitely 'Security,' that causing slow computer, particularly older and non-powerful computers.

Newer and powerful computers with Security programs, in my case, there is NO issue of loading programs, such as changing web-sites with a lot of colorful pictures. However, in older computer with security, it's terribly slow and sluggish to load. For that, I removed all security related programs by using both its web-site and Add/Remove < Control Panel. Particularly, 'spyware' causing this issue, then I installed only Anti-Virus on those older computers. Now, all computers are speedy and fast.

Old 02-07-07, 09:48 AM
Aside from,.... not too strong "Security" on older and less-powerful computers above, ....

I did 'defrag' and 'System Check' by accessing, My Computer < tick, "C" drive < properties < tools.

In my case, 'Defrag' along with 'Anti-Virus' helped to resolve 'slowness' of the computer. Because, over time, many programs started to dissary, for that 'defrag' made a very positive effect on it.

Also, Start < Run < msconfig < startup

I un-ckecked some of unneeded programs, because for some reason there are too many on Startup in comparison to the other computer that has less 'startup.'

However, if your computer is relatively newer and powerful, then there might need to look at other aspects, like hardware issue and the like.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: