Replace Power Adapter on Router

Old 02-07-07, 08:57 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace Power Adapter on Router

I have a router and can't find the power supply. The manual says the output should be 6v 5 amp. I can't find one with exactly those outputs in the many I have lying around the house. I did find a couple close.

Which might work? One says it's output is 9v 4amp another has 5v but 6amp.

Could someone explain in general which is more important the volts or amp requirements? If I must exceed or go under one of the values, which should I do and not damage the equipment?

Thanks
Jim

Old 02-07-07, 10:55 AM
Use the correct Power supply

I cannot really tell you which way is the best way to go.

However, I would suggest you find a power supply that supplies the exact volts and amps. You can get some very weird and undesirable results not using the correct power.

At my current job we had a piece of networking equipment that did not work correctly. It was fine for months, then suddenly would drop packets like crazy, slow performance, etc. Turns out whomever set it up originally used the wrong power supply, it ran fine for a while and then suddenly went to crap.

They have power requirements for a reason, so the device works correctly. Try to locate or purchase a power supply that supplies the correct current.

Thats my 2 cents

Old 02-07-07, 04:39 PM
C
You need the correct output voltage and at least the same or more amperage. You might check with the manufacturer's website to see if you can easily purchase another supply.

Old 02-07-07, 05:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Google the model number of your router.. Power supply info should be easy enough to find..

Old 02-07-07, 08:14 PM
R
You need the right voltage and the right type of power, ac or dc. You also need the right current (amperage). You may or may not be okay exceeding the current requirement. Some power converters will not generate the proper voltage until the current drawn reaches a certain amount.

Old 02-08-07, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by jimeh1952 View Post
I have a router and can't find the power supply. The manual says the output should be 6v 5 amp. I can't find one with exactly those outputs in the many I have lying around the house. I did find a couple close.

Which might work? One says it's output is 9v 4amp another has 5v but 6amp.

Could someone explain in general which is more important the volts or amp requirements? If I must exceed or go under one of the values, which should I do and not damage the equipment?

Thanks
Jim
Hi,

That power supply requirement seems high. You sure about the 6V 5A, possibly 6V .5A? That would be one big supply transformer, wall wart. I've got some big switches that only require 10-32V at 1000mA/1A. Those girls are big warts. Most SOHO routers are in the range of 10-12VDC @ 500mA output.

I would stay as close to the Voltage/Amp match as possible. Meaning match the specifications as stated by the manufacture.

BTW, what is the router manufacture, model?

Last edited by onebuck; 02-08-07 at 07:21 AM. Reason: request more info
Old 02-08-07, 08:00 AM
R
One other comment. You can buy universal adapters that provide a switch selectable voltage and have a variety of connectors.

Old 02-08-07, 09:39 AM
My d-link needs 5vDC at 2.5a.. What brand and model is your router?

Old 02-11-07, 09:22 AM
C
The 5V 6A might work, and might be the one.

Most such electronics have an internal voltage regulator anyways, that regulate to the 3.3V needed for the chips inside.

Old 02-11-07, 09:44 AM
Apparently he cooked it with the wrong adapter, or gave up.. He only posted once..

Old 02-12-07, 09:16 AM
J
Didn't give up

just reading and trying to learn.

Old 02-12-07, 10:59 AM
What make and model is the router?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: