XP Problem

Old 02-08-07, 09:19 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XP Problem

I have a Compaq Presario Computer. It had win 98 on it and i put win xp on it, did a clean install. Now it won't start properly unless i leave this xp cd in.
When i take it out the screen shows starting win 95 then says something with A:/> at the end. With the cd in it works perfectly. i borrowed the cd from a friend so i can't leave it in all the time. any help will be appreciated.

Old 02-08-07, 09:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll bet racraft jumps on this one..
Did you upgrade the OS, or do a clean - reformat install?

Old 02-08-07, 09:44 AM
N
I did not upgrade , i did a clean install.

Old 02-08-07, 10:05 AM
R
Two comments first, which will ultimately effect your actions.

1) A computer designed for Windows 98 (or 95 or MyEnemy) is likely not capable running Windows XP in such a way that you will like the results.

2) Unless you have a license for Windows XP it will not run. The operating system will eventually (I believe it is after 30 days) shut down unless you activate it. You can only activate it with a new key. You cannot use your friend's activation key. That is illegal and Microsoft will won't allow it.

Now if you still want to try this because you think your PC can handle the OS and because you have a legal activation key, you need to start over.

You messed something up in the install process. Despite your intentions, you did not do a complete reformat and clean install. You left the old operating system on the hard drive and it is booting from it instead of XP. When you have the CD in place it boots from the CD.

Start over and pay attention to the questions asked and the decisions made. You want to create a single partition on the hard drive (it sounds like there is more than one there) and install Windows XP to that partition.

Old 02-08-07, 10:13 AM
I knew exactly what racraft would say..

Apparently it didn't write to the boot sector.. You'll probably have to install it again.. Before you do I suggest using the utility from the hard drive manufacturer to wipe the drive clean.. It'll write 0s to the entire drive, and clean up the boot sector..
The program is an .iso disk image for either a diskette or a CD that you will use to boot from.. One very good one is UBCD, Ultimate Boot CD that has many great tools on it, including drive tools for many hard drives.. Just google "ubcd" to find it.. You will need Nero, or some other program to burn the CD..

Old 02-08-07, 10:55 AM
N
Smile

Thanks for quick responses. My pc is 800mhz with 30 gb harddrive it was used when i got it. So i wanted a fresh start. I have a win 2000pro cd but misplaced it. So my friend let me use his Winxp cd.
I seen where it said i had 30 days to activate it. I did activate it. This won't mess up my friends activation will it? I will try to reload Xp again and see what happens.. This is a great site with great people. :-)

Old 02-08-07, 12:42 PM
R
Your computer is not capable of running XP with any decent response results.

I recommend Windows 98 or a new computer.

Old 02-08-07, 12:55 PM
J
Received 462 Likes on 382 Posts
I have an 800Mhz pc with 20 gig drive and XP runs just fine. I am not playing games on it.

Old 02-08-07, 04:20 PM
R
While it is true that 800 Mhz is more than Microsoft suggests for Windows XP, it is not enough for anything except basic computing. Then there is the issue of memory, which has not even been mentioned.

Old 02-10-07, 12:36 PM
and yes.. your right, it will come back on you and your friend... in fact, the Microsoft Secret Police are probably on your block at this very moment, and they will confiscate you computer, put chinese finger cuffs on you and your friend, haul both of you off to the dark chamber with no computers.... and make you print, "I WILL NOT PIRATE MICROSOFT SOFTWARE AGAIN"...... on the cell walls..... 1,000,000,000 times....

Old 02-10-07, 02:11 PM
Look for a Win2000 install CD.. You'll be better of than with xp.. The computer will be better able to run it..

Old 02-11-07, 09:28 AM
C
You don't need 2000, you can turn off enough of XP (the "theme" interfasce mostly) to work at 2000's level.

Old 02-11-07, 09:48 AM
Since he "borrowed" his buddies XP CD, I only suggest Win2000 because he'll get it cheaper..

Old 02-11-07, 09:49 PM
Ram?

Originally Posted by racraft View Post
Two comments first, which will ultimately effect your actions.

1) A computer designed for Windows 98 (or 95 or MyEnemy) is likely not capable running Windows XP in such a way that you will like the results.

2) Unless you have a license for Windows XP it will not run. The operating system will eventually (I believe it is after 30 days) shut down unless you activate it. You can only activate it with a new key. You cannot use your friend's activation key. That is illegal and Microsoft will won't allow it.

Now if you still want to try this because you think your PC can handle the OS and because you have a legal activation key, you need to start over.

You messed something up in the install process. Despite your intentions, you did not do a complete reformat and clean install. You left the old operating system on the hard drive and it is booting from it instead of XP. When you have the CD in place it boots from the CD.

Start over and pay attention to the questions asked and the decisions made. You want to create a single partition on the hard drive (it sounds like there is more than one there) and install Windows XP to that partition.

Windows won't shut down after the 30 day grace period has ended. Instead it will lock you out in to a login screen and will not allow you to log in to windows untill you have entered an activation key.

Question for the opening post:
How much ram do you have in that system? MS recommends 256mb but XP needs 512MB to run at a functional level and 1GB to run smoothly with out hiccups.

Old 02-12-07, 08:36 PM
N
Smile

thanks for all replies . I just checked it is 256mb i should have some more ram chips to put in it. I just see how it goes until i can locate my win2000 disc. Thanks again all

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: