limited account

Old 02-09-07, 03:16 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
limited account

I created a limited user account for security reasons. However, re: power options, when I'm an administrator the power settings for my monitor and disks are as I want. When I'm on as a limited account, the settings are not what I want and I can't change them b/c I am on as limited.
So, if I'm on as a limited user the power is wrong and if I'm on as an administrator the pc is more vunerable.
Is there a way around this?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-07, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
re:

Since I've been surfing from a limited user account, as well as changing software firewalls from the almost worthless zonealarm free sw firewall (although it's better than the xp firewall) I've discovered some things, 1) windows has more freakin' security holes in it than swiss cheese. BG & M$ can talk all they want to about security, but the truth of the matter is, until all these software mfgs (including OS,AV,AS, and FW) quit trying to constantly connect to the internet with countless sub-programs (even when auto-updates are turned off), this isn't going to improve. I've had some problems with the limited user account (which imo everyone on the planet should do their general internet surfing from) in my one machine running xp home as well, and the only solution was to temporarily change the limited user account to an administrators account (from the main administrators account), then go into the limited users account (now an administrators account) change the settings there, as the settings wouldn't carry over from the administrators account to the limited users account, then go back to main administrators account and change the limited user account back to limited user status. (btw, I would somehow manually D/C from the internet before doing this) I don't know if this will help you with your power options problem, but it was the only way I could figure out how to get my problem with the limited user account fixed. perhaps some of the experts have a more elegant solution on how to transfer certain settings from an administrators account to the limited users account, as I would like to know as well. also when you disable certain "services" from any administrators account does this setting automatically transfer to the other administrators accounts as well as any limited user accounts?. thx

Old 02-09-07, 05:31 PM
tae
Paranoia will destroy ya

Old 02-09-07, 08:55 PM
tae, with automatic updates turned off, I can't see any reason for all these operating system and security programs opening up ports without the computer users knowledge, especially windows thru IE from a limited users account where you can't even update windows anyway (without being on an administrators account). this is probably one of the biggest reasons, imo, not to use IE especially with the xp firewall that has no outbound protection (or say a norton/mcafee FW (or other security suites) with the same norton/mcafee AV/AS. no telling what's going out by unsuspecting users who buy in that they're completely protected by an anti-virus program and a limited FW such as ZA free much less the xp inbound-only firewall. my FW even tries to connect out to it's own servers every couple of days or so. after the first try, which I denied, I connnected manually and there were no updates available--??. now for the user who won't update windows/AV/AS regularly, I can see these programs requesting an update every 2, 3, or 4 days, but imo, the user should be notified by a pop-up when this is happening from legit programs. you throw in dhcp/dns etc, etc, and no wonder most users have a hard time configuring a good FW, and finally say "I don't care, I just want to surf"--to *&^% with it. imho, it's not the design of the FWs it's the design of the OS, the AV/AS and a lot of the other legit programs that for some reason feel the need to contact their own servers all the time, (probably to try and identify pirated software more than anything else--which is ok, maybe once. then enough is enough). another minor example is this site. I have 3rd party cookies supposedly blocked, and this site just stuck 2 cookies on board (mediaplex.com and questionmarket.com). no big deal--but my question is why?

Last edited by jrx10; 02-09-07 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-10-07, 05:38 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wow, paragraphs are your friend..

You can set a myriad of things using the "Set program access and defaults" tool that is included with Windows. One of them is power settings. You can even keep other users from changing the screen saver. If you want more than that, set up a Windows Server that holds all user accounts.

A good router with built in firewall will do you far better than any software based system will. FWIW, I don't run a software firewall, never have. That's why I have a router. I've never had a problem, gotten a virus, spyware, malware or anything else. MOST of those are self-inflicted DIRECTLY by the user running programs of suspect origin, not because you didn't have a firewall.

Third party cookies are only blocked when they are requested by the third party, most sites have figured that out, so the requests are embedded into the webpage itself. Instead, I tell my router to block all requests from or to certain sites, namely most any that contain ad. as their prefix, as well as some others. Beyond the annoying banner ads (that get completely blocked using the above method), I don't have a problem with cookies. They can only be 1k in size and no single site can put more than three (as I recall), and all total their can't be more than 1024 of them (again, as memory serves).

Just for giggles, I looked at my cookie folder. There are 37 cookies there, a whopping 8kb total. Most of them holding things like the info for this website so I don't have to log in everytime.

Old 02-10-07, 07:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
A good router with built in firewall will do you far better than any software based system will. FWIW, I don't run a software firewall, never have. That's why I have a router. I've never had a problem, gotten a virus, spyware, malware or anything else. MOST of those are self-inflicted DIRECTLY by the user running programs of suspect origin, not because you didn't have a firewall.
Same here.. I don't use a software firewall..

Old 02-10-07, 02:50 PM
limited user

Originally Posted by tae View Post
Paranoia will destroy ya

I can now "run as". Hilite icon>left shift + rt clck =run as.
Please help with a related issue; when I "run as" on power opt's as a guest there are two choices - 1-default button is run as guest, 2-second button I click on and there are two boxes to log on as admin a- user name,b-password.
I look to the user name next to the admin logo as the user name and have tried both the original password - never changed and our log on password as we are password protected.
I keep getting rejected -do you know which user name and password they are referring to? (Not the specifics ones obviously)
Thank you for your help

Old 02-10-07, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
jrx10:

Please use paragraphs.. Your posts are near impossible to read..

Old 02-10-07, 10:34 PM
tae
1rst...you are starting to see what I mean ....don't be overly paranoid

are you using a regular user account, limited, or guest?
is the secondary logon service running?
are you using an authorized account?
Do you know how to check these?
xp? home or pro?

you do know runas still has limitations

the internet is not any more dangerous/evil than the real world. Simple precautions keep you pretty safe as long as you dont go where you shouldnt.

regular backups and total reformat=under an hour back to pristine condition.
How long have you been at this? If you just want to learn, thats great. I fear you are making more trouble for yourself than you need to.

Old 02-11-07, 08:32 AM
limited account

xp? home or pro?

the internet is not any more dangerous/evil than the real world. Simple precautions keep you pretty safe as long as you dont go where you shouldnt.

How long have you been at this? If you just want to learn, thats great. I fear you are making more trouble for yourself than you need to.
>>To answer your questions in order:
1-I used to use admin but heard it had vulnerabilities -am expirementing with limited and guest
2-yes, the secondary log on service is running
3-the account is authorized if you mean ligitimate and I am the administrator -nothing is below board.
3-I do not know what you mean by "check these"
4-home
5-I did not know 'runas' had problems
6-I follow internet safety
7-my necessary information is regularly backed up
8-backups with Dell especially drivers is testy for my level but I have all the steps printed just in case.
9-I have been at this a couple of years and am trying to learn as I go that is why I probe. This issue is providing me with much information
10-after 7 decades, it is not trouble for me but 'catching up' with pc lore.
At this point I am on line as a guest unless I need the admin ac't.
Thank you for taking the time.

Old 02-15-07, 11:55 AM

xp? home or pro?

>>When I learn I like to share - run control userpasswords2 opens a box which gives me the user name which I entered. This overrode the default blank xp defaults to initially.