blank disc has no free space

Old 02-10-07, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
blank disc has no free space

both my CD drive and DVD drives report that brand new discs have 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free. when i put the same disc in my other computer, it reports 0 bytes used 702 megs free. both saw file system : RAW. not sure what to do here......

any help is appreciated!

thanks!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-07, 01:30 PM
Are these writable drives?

Old 02-10-07, 02:44 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
your post sounds as if these are two seperate units (cd and dvd). yes?

a recordable cd has 682 MB capacity and a recordable dvd has 4.7GB. I presume you are installing a cd in the drive. If it is seperate drives, I don't think you are going to get the dvd to read correctly, if anything.

and as racraft asked, are both, any, all drives recording drives?

Old 02-10-07, 05:00 PM
What brand are the disks?

Old 02-11-07, 11:31 AM
updated info

yes, there are two seperate drives, cd reader/burner and dvd reader/burner.the cd is 2 yrs old in a compac presario desktop. i added the dvd burner a year ago.

the CD disc is a cd-r imation 1x-52x compatible

the dvd disc is a memorex dvd+RW rewritable

also i noticed that in "my computer" drive E (dvd) changes from a dvd to a CD drive when the dvd is loaded.

sorry for the lack of info earlier, i am a tad clueless on what info is pertinent

thanks for so many quick responses.

btw the drives read just fine, burning is their only issue

mike

Old 02-11-07, 11:58 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Now I am not a computer whizkid but a few things I would do.

First, you need to be not using a cd in a dvd drive and vice versa. They wont's work unless they are combo drives.

Next, be sure you are using the correct medium (specifically to the dvd)

dvd+RW will not work in a dvd-RW or ROM drive unless it is designed for it. use the correct disc for your drive. Not sure but with the change of the listing from dvd to cd in your display, an incorrect disc may confuse the thing.

Also, since it does change, are you sure the dvd drive is not a combo drive?

Next, I would re-install the software for the drives. Possibly first removing them from the machine totally and uninstalling all software then re-installing if no success elsewhere.

Next, check out the manufacturers site for new drivers and install if available

try a different brand of disc

do you have any children that like peanut butter and jelly? (just a thought. Probably not the problem)

check the actual wiring connections ( ribbon cable) for full insertion. unplug them and plug them back in.

Did you do anything else shortly before this happened or when it happened? New OS? New browser? Upgrade any programs? New hardware? New programs? Download anything (specifiaclly p2p programs or any possibly illegal downloads of songs or anything (don't admit to this on the site, merely for your thoughts)

Old 02-11-07, 12:17 PM
Hi:
I have the exact issue, particularly your second post, ... 'update, ....'

In my case, there are two slots, one for CD and other for DVD that is located on the top and the former is on its below.

DVD-rom on the top can read and copy from the one burned in the other computer, but it can not burn. For that, at first, I thought that I was doing something wrong. But, after having played around here and there, I found that the DVD-rom does not work on burning, ... only 'read.'

However, CD-writer has both capacities, read and write, both.

Like you, I had an issue CD and DVD mixed-up when I put them in a wrong slot. However, over time, it's no longer any problems. What I'm doing is that each time when I putting a disk, I am very cautious not to put it in the wrong slot. CD-R/RW is in the CD-writer and DVD-R is DVD-rom.

I have no clue in terms to other issues about which you're mentioning, but I'm planning to purchase an external DVD-burner through the Amazon Com. As a matter of fact, before coming here, on this board, I e-mailed to the e-store listed in the Amazon Com. asking whether a specific DVD-burner is suitable to my needs.

Old 02-11-07, 09:43 PM
Mounting?

I sounds like windows may not be mounting the drives when a disc is inserted. Disc mounting is more of a software problem than a hardware one. But thit does not mean that you should rule out any hardware issues. With out being there and having limited information about your situation makes this very tough to diagnose.

My only question is, do normal CD's (MUSIC or DATA) work when they are inserted in to the drive? Or is this a problem you have when only blank discs are inserted?

Old 02-12-07, 06:20 AM
Read entire post

HVAC4U:
"btw the drives read just fine, burning is their only issue"

8086:
My only question is, do normal CD's (MUSIC or DATA) work when they are inserted in to the drive?

Old 02-12-07, 12:09 PM
Drive Model?

What is the make and model of the optical drive that you are having trouble with?

Old 02-12-07, 12:16 PM
If your windows version is pre-XP it lacks built-in write support. You will have to use third-party software.