Screen keeps freezing when playing yahoo games

Old 02-12-07, 01:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screen keeps freezing when playing yahoo games

Hi. My screen keeps freezing (not responding) when I am playing literati in yahoo games. I am feeling soooo frustrated with it all...

My computer is an older computer with Windows XP. I have been having this problem for weeks, so have recently switched computers.

I had a Celeron 550 until a couple days ago, and thinking the freezing problem had something to do with the Celeron, a friend gave me their computer, which is an AMD 750.

My son reformatted the AMD, transferred over most of the stuff from my old computer, reinstalled java, and I bought a new mouse and new keyboard, but am still having the same problem.

Any idea on what the problem could be? I'll be playing a game, and suddenly, my computer just doesn't respond when I try to move, or attempt to type something into the dialogue box, and then about five minutes later, my text appears in the dialogue area, and I am able to move. It is so darn frustrating... It's gotten so bad that I have pretty much quit playing literati.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-07, 01:51 AM
p.s. The computer has a 20 gig hard drive, and is only about 25 % full.

Old 02-12-07, 10:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It could be Yahoo.. Your machine may be waiting for info that is slow in coming down the pipe.. Are you on dialup or broadband?

Old 02-12-07, 11:02 AM
AxlMyk's onto it. What we need to learn is just what freezes,

Yahoo,
Internet Explorer,
or Windows.

When this freeze occurs, can you still pull up the Start Menu? Can you scroll the web page? What happens if you *right* click the Java applet window (the game window)? These are all tests to learn what's working, what's not.

Old 02-12-07, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the replies.

When everything seems to freeze and I am unable to take my turn in the game, when I click on start at the bottom left, I am able to pull up the start-up menu.

I am not sure what happens when I right click the in the window (I don't have the time to test that out right now, since I have to go out for a bit), but I believe when I've tried it in the past, nothing comes up when I right click.

Old 02-12-07, 02:34 PM
I'm wondering what kind of video card you have and if you have the latest drivers. Are you using an onboard video card?

Old 02-13-07, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by jlacroix View Post
I'm wondering what kind of video card you have and if you have the latest drivers. Are you using an onboard video card?
I have no idea, but will ask my son tomorrow.

Since I'm having this problem with this computer as well as with the computer I was using last week, I wouldn't think the video card would be the culprit (on both computers). Mind you.......I really don't know anything about computers.

Old 02-13-07, 08:07 PM
I don't know if my video card is on-board, but yes, apparently I do have the latest drivers...

Old 02-13-07, 11:52 PM
This isn't like some dazzling 1st-person-shooter you're playing - not even 3D in Yahoo Literati, right? Then video card/graphics drivers won't be the problem.

Find out just what's frozen, what isn't (the symptoms). Then we can make a diagnosis.

Old 02-15-07, 12:53 AM
lol.....Nope - Far from a dazzler.

Just started a literati game a few minutes ago. They took their turn, I took mine, now it's their turn, but I've been sitting here for about 5 minutes and on my screen, it looks like they have not moved. However, what has most likely happened is that they have moved, but it hasn't yet registered on my screen.

And often, this happens about 20 times in a game. It'll freeze, then the next 5 moves might go smoothly, then it'll freeze, maybe several times in a row. Or often, I'll take my turn, and then hit the submit button to enter my word, but it won't submit. Then I'll sit there and wait, and eventually, I'll hear the ping sound letting me know that the screen is no longer frozen, my word has been registered, and the other person is now taking their turn. It's so frustrating.

I'm just not sure what to do at this point... The problem was happening with the old computer........so I transferred everything onto this computer, and bought a new keyboard and a new mouse, and my son reinstalled windows xp, and reinstalled java...

Any ideas on what I can try at this point?

p.s. btw, the only time this happens (the computer freezing up like this) is when I'm actually playing a game. And even while I am playing the game and the screen has frozen, I can still open a new and browse the internet... The problem is only with the game page...

Old 02-15-07, 12:16 PM
Your computer isn't freezing. Saying that confuses everybody. It's like saying your car is dead because the radio gets only static from your favorite radio station. The problem is isolated.

I'm pretty sure this is a connectivity problem with Yahoo. Something between your machine and Yahoo. Are you sharing an internet connection? Do you use a wireless or dialup connection? Tell us exactly what kind of internet service you have. If the connection is sketchy, you might only notice this while playing Literati.

One thing I can imagine not working on your end, is Java, and/or your browser settings. I'm wondering what browser you're using. Internet explorer? Which version?

Test Java itself by pasting this link into your browser address bar:

http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

Then click "Verify Installation".

You can also try a more... um, interactive test of Java. Go to the following page and click "Click to play":

http://www.jpowered.com/free_java_game/

Assuming a Java game window appears, click the start button. No, these aren't my favorite games, but they're handy!

Old 02-16-07, 02:15 AM
Thanks again for the reply.

Re internet connection - I have cable internet......Shaw highspeed.

For a browser, I usually use Mozilla Firefox. I used to use Internet Explorer, but find I have less problems with Mozilla.

Re java - I did the java test, and tried out the game you suggested. It went fine......so the problem isn't with java.

Man this is frustrating. I sure wish I could figure this out.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Old 02-16-07, 06:17 AM
I logged onto the Yahoo Literati group and asked if anyone else had your problem.. I'm waiting for an answer, although my hopes aren't high.. Doesn't seem to be much activity there.. We'll see what happens..

Old 02-17-07, 08:37 PM
Thanks Axl. Did anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-18-07, 05:37 AM
No answers yet, but then again, a moderator is supposed to OK it before posting.. That hasn't happened yet..

Old 02-18-07, 06:04 AM
My first response diagnosis is SPY WARE. It has become the first thing you must check for when dealing with internet based problems. Get a program like Ad Aware (free from LavaSoft) AND SPY BOT (free) and run em both. GUARANTEE you will find some undesireables lurking on your machine causing slow performance.

Old 02-18-07, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by AVgrphx View Post
My first response diagnosis is SPY WARE. It has become the first thing you must check for when dealing with internet based problems. Get a program like Ad Aware (free from LavaSoft) AND SPY BOT (free) and run em both. GUARANTEE you will find some undesireables lurking on your machine causing slow performance.

Reread post #1.. Fresh install.. Same problem..
Not one just one machine either..

Old 02-25-07, 01:58 AM
Actually, I've been having a problem that sounds similar to this. It only occurs while playing Yahoo games when I attempt to close the games window down. As I click, the window does not close but rather freezes, causing my browser (and this happens with both IE and Mozilla) to lock-up. However, it doesn't lock-up up the entire browser, just the Yahoo window -- though it takes down any other tabs with it. It seems to happen randomly, but more so when I'm doing a bit of multi-tasking. I can still open the start menu, right-click the Java console icon and all that. To kill the Yahoo games window, I have to kill Firefox altogether using the task manager. Now, my computer is fairly decent (3ghz P4 with 1G Ram, plenty of HDD space, running XP), so my first thought of it being excessing memory consumption by java or the browser (or both) seems unlikely, though I did think many times that the memory usage of firefox.exe looked high before I'd end the process in Task manager... though I don't know.

Another thing is I tried it on multiple computers, like Marie... all three had the same problem. Sometimes it was with dial-up, sometimes with ADSL.

My guess is that Yahoo's java is simply dodgy.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-02-07, 01:00 AM
Wish I could help, Prism, but I obviously have no clue.

I find it odd tho how some people seem to have no problem at all with the yahoo games site, while others have nothing but problems... Very frustrating.

Old 03-02-07, 10:21 AM
Could anything be learned if she did a tracert to yahoo.com? I don't know. If you want to try here is how you do it:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If using XP:

1)Click on Start
2)Click on Run..
3)Type in "command" (without the quotes) and hit the enter key
4)Type in "tracert yahoo.com" (without the quotes) and hit the enter key
5)Right-click in the window and select "Select All"
6)Hit the enter key

The contents are now copied to your window's clipboard and can simply be pasted in your message.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Might be worth a try.

Baldwin

Old 03-03-07, 02:37 AM
slow yahoo

I'm not an expert by any means, but 'freezing' and 'yahoo' caught my attention while I was scrolling. I recently signed up for AT&T Yahoo dial. The yahoo browser has never worked. AT&T tech support said that Yahoo is having 'some problems' and they don't know when they will be fixed. My Yahoo mail account is loading slowly as well.

For whatever it's worth...

Old 03-05-07, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by mlminin View Post
I'm not an expert by any means, but 'freezing' and 'yahoo' caught my attention while I was scrolling.

For whatever it's worth...
Same here, but a different problem. My wife plays BeetleBomp a lot, and oftentimes when she closes the game, the associated process keeps running. Starting the game again results in two instances of the process and a hung computer.