Windows 98se or not?

Old 02-13-07, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Windows 98se or not?

I upgraded my windows 98 to 98se quite some time ago and never had any issues until now. My wife's mp3 player says 98se compatible, but when I try to install the software it says my operating system is not compatible. When I go to the "about windows" tab in my help menu, it does not show windows 98se. Should it? The disk says se when I'm installing it. Am I doing something wrong?

By the way, the instructions on the mp3 player say to log on as administrator. Could this be a problem? I don't know how to do that. Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-07, 04:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Although, IMO, 98se was one of the best OS Microsoft made, alot of today's software, even though "compatible", won't work to its fullest potential. XP seems to be a slight step backwards in fluid computering, since it freezes up alot, and is a little more "touchy". 98se didn't care if you abused it. Usually a reboot fixed it. Not sure what Vista has in store.
The instructions to log on as "administrator" assumes you are using XP.

Old 02-14-07, 05:24 AM
Thanks. I went to the product website and it said nothing about being compatible with 98, so I'm assuming it's a misprint on the box. It wouldn't be the first time I've encountered that. Yeah, I have XP at work but I like 98 better...guess I'm going to have to go ahead and upgrade it if I want to use any electronics with it.

Old 02-14-07, 05:41 AM
The MP3 player probably has a USB connection, which is why it would only be compatible with Windows 98se.

Understand that you (most likely) won't be able to put XP on your Windows 98 PC. While it may let you install it, it won't run very well if the memory is too low or the processor is too slow.

As for Windows 98 being better than XP, that's a stretch. I also think it's not appropriate to make that comparison. While Windows 98 was very well written and is certainly light years ahead of Windows MyEnemy (even though it is an earlier/older OS), it just doesn't hold a candle to XP. But for older machines, it is clearly the right OS.

Old 02-14-07, 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
The MP3 player probably has a USB connection, which is why it would only be compatible with Windows 98se.

Understand that you (most likely) won't be able to put XP on your Windows 98 PC. While it may let you install it, it won't run very well if the memory is too low or the processor is too slow.

As for Windows 98 being better than XP, that's a stretch. I also think it's not appropriate to make that comparison. While Windows 98 was very well written and is certainly light years ahead of Windows MyEnemy (even though it is an earlier/older OS), it just doesn't hold a candle to XP. But for older machines, it is clearly the right OS.
So back to my original question: Will 98se show the "se" in the about windows drop down? How do I know if the se upgrade is actually working and I'm not still using 98? I do have other items plugged in to USB ports and they work fine.

Old 02-14-07, 06:20 AM
Windows 98 (the original) actually does support USB, but only if enough updates were/are done. Everyone, including Microsoft, says that you need Windows 98se to get USB to avoid confusion, and to eliminate problems with people who don't do updates.

I do not remember what distinguishes 98se from 98 when you look at the computer information, but I do know that it is obvious. Provide the entire line and we can probably sort it out, although I do not think it's important.

I believe that you probably have hardware incompatibilities between the MP2 player and the computer.

You should never install a new operating system on top of an existing one. Since Windows 98SE is, in fact, a new OS and not an update, this rule applies to it. The way to install a new OS is to completely and thoroughly erase and reformat the hard drive and then to install the OS from scratch.

Last edited by racraft; 02-14-07 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-14-07, 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
You should never install a new operating system on top of an existing one. Since Windows 98SE is, in fact, a new OS and not an update, this rule applies to it. The way to install a new OS is to completely and thoroughly erase and reformat the hard drive and then to install the OS from scratch.
Thanks. I'm sure you've answered this 1000 times, but then you wouldn't buy the upgrade version? You would buy the original version?

Old 02-14-07, 06:42 AM
No. With the exception of Windows Vista, all upgrade versions of Windows merely require that you place the CD of the earlier version in the CD drive when the installation needs to verify a previous version. So you install from the upgrade CD, and when the installation asks for it, you insert the other CD into the drive.

Windows Vista upgrades, while not quite the same, still can, and should be installed to a clean (freshly formatted) hard drive. This involves some sleight of hand, but is widely documented on the Internet.

Having said that, I generally do not recommend that you upgrade Windows Vista, unless you just bought a machine recently. Even then, I suggest that you keep XP.

Old 02-14-07, 07:01 AM
Thanks much.

Old 02-14-07, 04:25 PM
tae
how did you update it to se?
Do not mistake the Windows Update CDs.

There were, apparently, two of them.
One that will 'update' Win98FE to Win98SE and it reflects this change when you look at My Computer Properties.

There was another CD that MS did give away for the cost of the CD ($5) and it is entitled "Windows Update, Windows 98 Service Pack 1" and this one does not change anything in My Computer Properties nor does it allow the machine to run hardware/sofware that requires Win98SE.

Old 02-14-07, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Bob, I was referring to the entire life of my 98SE, it never crashed, never hung up, and wasn't as touchy as XP. You'll have to admit, even though it is a prettier OS and it does alot more, it has faults that weren't encountered with SE. Never did figure why they came out with ME....such a waste of time.

Old 02-17-07, 11:33 PM
The SE stands for Second Edition. If you right click on My Computer and then left click on Properties, a window will appear and near the top of this window it should say Windows 98. If it is SE then it should say Second Edition below it.