partitioning and another question

Old 02-18-07, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
partitioning and another question

Hello everyone, I have windows, programs and everything else installed on my C: drive already. How do I partition my C: drive in windows xp. If I have an external hard drive how do I partition that as well.

Also do you need a certain amount of available free space on your c: drive in order to keep system performance like speed etc. good. So if I have 20 gigabytes of data on my C: drive I should make sure I have at least X amount of free space. Maybe it doesn’t matter. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-07, 05:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you really need to partition the drives?
If not, don't bother.. If you want to do it to learn how, that's another matter..
It's always good to keep a couple gig free on a drive.. The computer needs a little breathing room..

Old 02-19-07, 11:41 AM
Inorder to save my data and stuff I have decided on the route to save a image of my data on a external hard drive. When creating images of your partition they save empty space as well. As you can see I have alot of empty space so it will take along time. I heard that this is a good idea to do this but I just don't know how to do it. Thanks

Old 02-19-07, 12:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You don't need to save an image, just copy your important files to the external drive.. Saving an image will include the OS, and every other file you don't need to save..

Old 02-19-07, 02:53 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Norton's Ghost is your friend..

Here's what I do.

Make a C: (BOOT) partition about 10gb in size, formatted to FAT32.
Make a D: (WINXP) partition, any size, but at *least* 20gb, NTFS.
Make a E: (USERDATA) partition using the remainder of the drive as NTFS
Put Norton's Ghost, plus any files/drivers needed to install the system on C: drive.

Making C: drive as FAT lets you boot to it and gives you someplace to save the image to.

Install Windows to D: drive, put on all of your _essential_ software, printer drivers, software you know you will always use, all windows updates, etc.
Using tweakui, remap your documents, favorites and desktop folders to a sub-folder on E: drive.
Delete the default paging file and move it to E: drive.

Boot a few times and use it for a few days (without installing anything else!) just to make sure things are working.

Disable hibernation, reboot to DOS and then, using Ghost, make an image of D: drive.

In about 6 months, when you are ready to reinstall, all you have to do is restore the image. All of your documents and bookmarks will still be there, but you are back to a nice fresh system. Get the latest updates, use for a few days, then make a new image, deleting the old if you need space.

My current image file is about 4gb (with quite a bit of software installed), I can 'restore' the system to a clean install status in less than 10 minutes using that image.

To answer your original question, Partition Magic will let you re-do the drive anyway you want it after windows is installed.

Old 02-19-07, 06:23 PM
This is how I set up my two hard drives. My slave drive contains an image of my windows installation should anything go wrong with it. (True Image) The page file is located on my slave drive as well.

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/1261/partcq0.jpg

Old 02-20-07, 12:05 PM
Pendragon, that is a pretty good idea. I think I am going to try it and see how it fares. Only confusing part to me is how do you use tweakui to remap documents, favorites, and desktop folders to a sub-folder on the E: drive and also delete the default paging file and move it to the E: drive.

For another question as the administrator of this computer it is password protected but has another account for others to log into. Will other account user be able to view these files and folders if they are on the E: drive? Thanks

Old 02-20-07, 01:47 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
In tweakui, there is the 'special folders' entry, each contains a map to something, such as my documents, where files are stored awaiting to be written to a cd, etc.

If you change My Documents, then all the ones under it change automatically such as My Pictures, My Music, etc. Then you just change the favorites and desktop folders.

For the paging file, it's in Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance (Settings) > Advanced > Virtual Memory (Change)

Somewhere along the line, the system asked you if you want to secure your documents from viewing by others users. As long as you told it you did want to, then they won't be able to see them.

Old 02-21-07, 12:08 AM
Do you restore every 6 months or do you wait for something to start going wrong to restore the image. Thanks

Old 02-24-07, 10:16 AM
I use partition magic program it lets you do most anything. But whenever I set a new computer I always create a least 3 partitions, never store important data on the same partition as the OS.