Excellent Signal/Slow Speed

Old 02-21-07, 06:04 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have an HP nx6325 laptop. I always have "Excellent" signal strength
according to the system tray icon but frequently experience lower than 54 Mbps connection speed (sometimes 5-11 Mbps speeds) even though the signal strength is excellent at the same time. What could be
causing the lowered speeds while still having an excellent signal strength?
I've already troubleshooted the obvious (microwave, cordless phones, etc.), downloaded all firmware updates for my router, uninstalled my virus checker, taken the laptop to another location (where the speed still bounced) and brought another laptop to my house and watched the new one maintain its speed. HP did not want to entertain the idea of a bad wireless card. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-07, 07:15 AM
R
How does the laptop perform when connected via a cable to the router? I suspect that the machine is the problem.

Old 02-21-07, 08:03 AM
T
i had same similar prob with my laptop.... i went and bought a USB card to see if there would be a difference... it worked

go to walmart and buy one there... if it turns out it is the same thing happening then return it... they have a good return policy

i sent my compaq(hp) back to the company for repairs.. if its under warranty it will be fixed and shipped back to you free of charge within 7-10 business days... usually quicker

Old 02-21-07, 07:06 PM
Did you update the wireless card drivers on the laptop?

Old 02-22-07, 05:01 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What are you transferring when you see the 5-11 mbps speeds?
If you are online, it's only going to be as fast as your internet connection, which I can assure you, is nowhere near 54 mbps

Old 02-22-07, 05:14 AM
"What are you transferring when you see the 5-11 mbps speeds?
If you are online, it's only going to be as fast as your internet connection, which I can assure you, is nowhere near 54 mbps"

When you connect to a wireless router, your connection speed will show 54 mbps (unless the router is older), regardless of what you are transferring or how fast your internet is. While surfing the internet, the speed will not be 54 mbps, but it should still say you are connected at 54 mbps.

Old 02-22-07, 05:43 AM
S
Excellent Speed, Slow Connection

Yes, I have updated the drivers and yes, that is exactly what is happening regarding surfing the internet, the speed is not staying connected at 54 Mbps while connected through the router, and, in fact, last night dropped as low as 1 Mbps and 5 Mbps. I have done all the troubleshooting HP has asked for...so far. Last night, they instructed me to reinstall the entire operating system and if that doesn't correct the problem, they will send me a new wireless card under warranty. I am being told by the computer tech at work to insist on the new card NOW.

Old 02-22-07, 05:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your work Tech is right.. Get a new card from them..
There is absolutely NO need to reinstall the OS..

Old 02-22-07, 10:57 AM
T
i agree there is NO reason to reinstall the OS....

i didnt like the techs advice from HP either.... my LCD went and they told me it went because i spilled something on the keyboard.... meanwhile i was talking to online with them with an external monitor..lol

Old 02-22-07, 03:53 PM
Just tell them you reinstalled the OS and you are still having problems. They have no way to verify that you tried it or not.

However, there are many issues that could be affecting your connection, and the wireless card is just one possibility. There is no guarantee that replacing the card is going to solve your problem. I think you have just about tried everything else though, so that is the next logical step.

Old 02-23-07, 05:12 AM
S

The computer tech at work is going to swap wireless cards today and see how my machine performs.
If this isn't the problem, what are the other things you mentioned?

Old 02-23-07, 09:25 PM
T
Originally Posted by SherryD333 View Post
The computer tech at work is going to swap wireless cards today and see how my machine performs.
If this isn't the problem, what are the other things you mentioned?
if after replacing your card inside of your pc then i would think that it is your router(internet access point)..next logical solution

Old 03-09-07, 11:42 AM
S

I got the new wireless card and the tech guy here at work installed it. I turned the computer on and it was at 54.0 mbps. I looked at it 10 minutes later and it was 36.0. Same thing. And it can't be my router because I am here at work. The tech guy says maybe it is the built-in antenna? Any ideas?

Old 03-09-07, 12:06 PM
What's running on your machine when you notice the bouncing around? Have you tried a speed test to see whats coming through the pipe?
I run a connection to my office, usually connected by VPN also running AOL and MSN and various programs. Right now using an older Thinkpad with a USB adapter my speed is constantly bouncing from 18 -24 -36 -48 mbps. Do you notice an physical difference in the speed of the system?

Old 03-09-07, 12:31 PM
S
Excellent Connection/Slow Speed

My speed tests come out fine on my DSL. Nothing is really running except Explorer. I have brought another laptop to my house and watched the speed stay at 54.0 and mine bounce around. I have brought it to work and watched the same thing happen. I am at a loss. HP wanted me to reinstall the operating system but I am in no way competent enough to try that.

Old 03-09-07, 01:18 PM
Reinstalling the OS will not fix the issue, it is likely hardware. You said nothing is running but how about in the background?
Did you try connecting with a cable? Is there any issue there? I'll bet there isn't
What type of router and how is everything connected? forget this, you said it happens elsewhere.

Last edited by ehjay; 03-09-07 at 01:24 PM. Reason: unnecessary question
Old 03-09-07, 03:39 PM
S
Excellent Connection/Slow Speeds

All the normal things running, I think? Yes, the speed varies even with a cable. I am hoping I can send to HP for repairs because I am now totally over my head.

Old 03-09-07, 06:05 PM
Even with a cable plugged directly to the DSL modem your speed varies? Typically if it was only the wireless it could be many factors to do with distance , interference walls etc... but plugged in too? And plugged into different networks? your over my head, I can ask my network guru and see what he says.

Old 03-09-07, 06:47 PM
What do you mean the speed varies with a cable? What speed are you looking at? If you are plugged into a router, the speed will not change. You will connect at 100mbps and it won't change. If you are plugged directly into a modem, the speed will probably vary, which is normal. Internet speeds will vary depending on you provider.

Old 03-10-07, 07:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Speeds from the wireless modem to any computer connected directly to the modem through a cat cable will not vary. They can be either 10 or 100. Depends on the cards settings.

Speeds using a DSL modem (hub) connection to an ISP, to the computer or DSL modem to a wireless router can be 10 or 100. Depending upon the card. Most cards are 10/100. Contact ISP to have speed set to constant 100.

Speed between the ISP from the ISP's modem to their servers cannot be set. Once the modem is connected to the phone line, control and speeds will vary depending upon phone line traffic and servers at ISP's connections, etc.

ISP can provide your a link to a web site to measure that speed.
They usually will also PING to test a speed. Contact ISP.

Wireless speeds from a wireless modem to a wireless card are controlled and regulated by law. They are not exceed 54mbps. Speeds will vary somewhere between 34-35 to the set max of 54mbps. This is normal operation.

Variations in wireless speeds (between computer wireless card and wireless router) will vary based upon traffic and other uncontrollable factors between wireless modem and wireless card, will cause speeds to vary. Read the owners manual and verify this with the manufacturer of the wireless modem.

Changing cards and/or O/S etc. will not change anything. Only aspect that can be changed with help of ISP is computer to DSL modems (HUB) speed.

Been through all of this with my own desktops, laptops and wireless modems.... Does make a wireless connected computer run slowly when compared to a direct connection to the ISP's modem or when connected via a CAT cable to a (any) computer.

Just how it is. SLOW....

Old 03-10-07, 01:00 PM
S
Excellent Connection/Slow Speed

I am trying to absorb what you said. I just don't understand why I can bring another laptop into the house, connect it to my wireless network and the speed will stay consistently at 54.0 Mbps and my own laptop will bounce to 48.0 to 36.0 to 24.0 to 11.0 and down and all around?

Old 03-12-07, 05:50 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Unless it's the same laptop using the same hardware and software, you can't make a comparison. Not all wireless hardware will change the connection rate reported 'on the fly'. The other laptop may simply be reporting what the card is capable of, not the actual connect rate.

The other laptop may also be using a different channel on the network than yours which has less interference.

Old 03-12-07, 06:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try this:

Defrag
Go to www.speedguide.net
Run their Analyzer
DL tcpoptimizer (shortcut to it on the left)
Read the docs and run it
Run the analyzer again..