Recovery

Old 02-21-07, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recovery

Good afternoon. I am afraid that I will have to do a complete system recovery with my Windows XP Home edition. I have never done this before with XP. I know that there are two kinds of recovery, a Destructive, and a System . The Destructive is self explanitory, but what is the difference to System. I do not and cannot obtain the recovery CD's needed so I will have to do it from Windows XP. I have already backed up my documents to CD. What else do I need to know to do this task. I am somewhat nervous about this so any plain english advice would be welcomed. Thank you in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-07, 12:01 PM
You need a Windows XP Home CD, preferably one from the computer manufacturer. If you did not get one when you bought the computer contact the manufacturer. You can probably buy one from them for a few dollars.

Reminder to everyone purchasing a new computer. Insist on a a full installation Windows CD when you buy the system, even if you have to pay extra for it.

Old 02-22-07, 12:32 PM
Hi:
If your pc is made by the HP/Compaq, then there is no need to get the CD for its re-installation. Inside the PC, there is 'Recovery,' .... believing it's called, 'HP recovery D.'

Also, look at the HP web-site below;
"Compaq Presario Desktop PCs - How to Perform a System Recovery"
There is a detailed explanation on this.

Aside from this, try to look at the 'Hp help and Tools' < Programs < at Start.

In the past, about two years ago, I did uninstall and install Windows XP by following the web-site, above along with a good tip/help from the HP - tech. It was NOT hard at all, but in the end, I needed to re-install all of softwares that took me many hours.

Before doing this, ... have you done 'System Restore' that helped me at some point where the issue was minor.

Old 02-27-07, 06:15 AM
Good Morning, after trying just about everything to remedy my issue, which was unable to connect to my server, via IE6 or Firefox and get to homepage. I am on dial up,
I can connect to my isp, but I could not browse. When I used IE, I continued to get "This page will not download etc", when I used Firefox, I got "cannot find server, or server took to long to answer, etc, etc". I finally decided to go the recovery route. As I stated before, I have no recovery disc's so I went about it via Windows Recovery for Compaq. At first I did the System Recovery, but whatever was causing the issue remained, because after the recovery, and reinstalling my ISP, AVG, Ad-Aware, Windows Firewall and Spybot the issue remained including a new warning regarding a "Generic Host Process For Win32" needing to shut down. I have no idea what that was. I then decided to go ahead with the "Destructive Recovery". That went well, although after I reinstalled all the necessaries, I had one issue with the "Generic Host" thing. It has not reappeared as of this writing of course I could be speaking to soon. I would appreciate any remarks or suggestions. Thanks

Last edited by maymay; 02-27-07 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Left out text
Old 02-27-07, 09:42 AM
Hi:
When I did, my ISP was dial-up and every softwares were practically 'old.'

In my recollection, System Destructive Recovery went very well and afterwards I re-installed all of softwares and NEVER had any issues since then, except one web-site with professional photo galery.

I can NOT understand why your Recovery didn't go well,... but in my suggestion, rather than trying to fix on your own, get in touch with HP tech.
either by Live-Chat or over the phone, however the HP may charge you for the latter service, then ask before doing so. Once when I did, it was less than $2.00 with quick question. Then, before doing so, get all informations ready. They charge by a minute, ... I believe(?).

Also, you can order the CD through HP web-site. I have both CD and System Recovery/PC. The HP doesn't charge you as long as the pc is under the warranty.