Where did they go?

Old 02-24-07, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where did they go?

Today I noticed that my DVD burner & second hard drive was not listed when I clicked on my computer.So i rebooted & when it was booting back up I got these messages on the screen.
diskette drive 0 seek failure.(if this is a floppy drive I don't even have one)
then I hit enter & got these.
Primary drive 1 not found.(dvd drive? it is set to boot from this first)
Secondary drive 0 not found
Secondary drive 1 not found
Strike f1 key to continue,f2 to run the setup utility.
When I hit f1 it boots to windows(although it seems slow)& seems to run normal. Where did everything go?
Here's what I have tried so far.I have unplugged & replugged the data/ribbon cable to ensure good connection.I swaped the power chain plug in on the primary hard drive with the dvd drive.This tells me the power supply is good? Also I forgot to add, with everything hooked up you cannot open the cd drive with the eject button nor do the lights light up when you reboot.P.S. the cd/dvd drive is only about 1 month old.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-07, 09:00 AM
You should go into setup (bios) and see if it finds any of these drives. Some have an auto detect feature that will rescan and search again for the drives.

Is the DVD drive and 2nd hard drive on the same ribbon cable? What types of drives are these, SATA, PATA, SCSI?

The fact that you cannot see any lights on the dvd drive itself nor does it open would explain why the PC does not see it. The drive is either not getting power correctly, or the cables to connect it to the PC are not detecting it.

I have not heard of the connecting cables going bad on their own, unless something was chewing on them.

Your best bet is to isolate and attack. Disconnect all drives (power and cables) and then connect either the missing hard drive or the dvd drive to the known working drive cables and ports. Meaning if the working hard drive is on IDE1, take that cable and plug it into either the hard drive or dvd. Turn on the PC and go into setup/bios and see if it finds the drive. Basically you want to find out where the trouble spot is, the drive itself, the cables, the connectors, dip switches. Depending on how you currently have the drives setup you may need to change some dip switches for your testing.

Please note the way you have everything setup before you begin so you can return everything to normal.

Old 02-24-07, 12:29 PM
The HD & CD drive are on the same ribbon cable.The C: drive is on it's own cable from the mobo to the drive.I switched where the 2 cables plug into the mobo & there was no diff. The drives are both IDE?

Old 02-24-07, 12:58 PM
If the ribbon cable is one of those flat cables then it is most likely IDE. SCSI is not the norm for home PCs and SATA are very small in comparison.

Try the suspect hard drive by itself, using the good cable on the good IDE port and see if its found by the BIOS.

Then do the same thing with the dvd by itself.

I do not think both drives went bad, it is either one drive went bad and since they both on the same cable it stopped working correctly. Either that I would think it is more of a cable/power/IDE port issue.

But check the jumpers, you will need the jumpers set to master or cable select (SC) when testing the drive by itself.

Old 02-24-07, 01:21 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Drives

Try reloading the drivers for the cd/dvd drive.

Old 02-24-07, 10:05 PM
OK here's what I came up with.
I was near a computer store today & grabbed a data cable (couple bucks was all) did not help. (bad cable crossed off list)
Swapped ide ports where oem drive cable & cd/2nd drive cable were plugged in,did not help (bad IDE port crossed off list)
Tried each connector in power chain 1 at a time in oem drive,all connectors worked fine (bad power supply crossed off list)
Remembered I had an old cd drive & plugged it into data cable & viola' it worked,so it's looking like both drives took a crap at same time?

Old 02-24-07, 11:21 PM
tae
have you ran thorough antivirus/anti malware scans on the primary drive?

Old 02-25-07, 01:36 AM
How old is this computer? If it's more that five years old your mb battery may be dying.
Try resetting you bios settings to default and see what happens.

Also, I had a CD drive go bad on me in a computer once and it made all sorts of strange things happen to my computer. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Didn't think a bad drive could cause so much havoc.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-07, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by tae View Post
have you ran thorough antivirus/anti malware scans on the primary drive?
Tae,Yes I have Webroot Spy Sweeper that runs every day & once a week I run SpyBot & once a month I run ccleaner.

rcash, It's a Dell that's about 3years old.

Old 02-25-07, 04:24 PM
tae
run an antivirus scan...online if you dont have one...just to eliminate that possibility

Old 02-25-07, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by tae View Post
run an antivirus scan...online if you dont have one...just to eliminate that possibility
Forgot to add that's done with the spyware sweep.

Old 02-26-07, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by racefan View Post
OK here's what I came up with.
I was near a computer store today & grabbed a data cable (couple bucks was all) did not help. (bad cable crossed off list)
Swapped ide ports where oem drive cable & cd/2nd drive cable were plugged in,did not help (bad IDE port crossed off list)
Tried each connector in power chain 1 at a time in oem drive,all connectors worked fine (bad power supply crossed off list)
Remembered I had an old cd drive & plugged it into data cable & viola' it worked,so it's looking like both drives took a crap at same time?

Wait, I just re-read your very first post, does it find any drives in the BIOS? From what you posted originally it sounds like everything was not found, when you go into the BIOS on the PC with everything plugged in and powered on, what does the BIOS actually detect? Reason I am asking is the original power implies that nothing was found at all. Or does it just not display anything when it is found?

Following depends on the BIOS issues.

Well if both hard drives went bad at the same time I would be a little concerned. I imagine for something like that to happen some sort of weird spike/signal went through the IDE port/cable or those power plugs that both of those drives were on. It is possible that this happened, but that raises new questions as to whether there is a problem with the motherboard or Power Supply that it sent some sort of abnormal/spiked signal. May not want to put more equipment on if it has the potential to be zapped in some way and put out of commission.

From the tests you did it sounds to me like both drives went bad at the same time. If you were able to verify that the IDE ports, cables and power all work with different drives there is really not much left in the equation. Even with bad IDE Ports and/or ribbons you should be able to have power to open the CD drawer. The only other thing I forgot to mention is if you can tell if the drives power up. The hard drive should spin up when you power on the PC. Not always the easiest to tell, either by putting your ear on it or holding it, you should be able to tell if the drive spins up or not.

I assume the PC is out of warranty from Dell. You could check their forums or knowledge base, someone else may have had this happen to them as well. Not saying they would have a fix, but any more information you can get on this would help.

The tests within windows are really not going to help you at this stage. If the hardware is not detected by the bios then windows will never find it.

I doubt this is the conclusion you wanted, but the fact that you are able to put on older CD rom drive on and it works with the same setup that the other drives fail is pretty much your answer.