Error printing to LPT1: timeout

Old 02-25-07, 05:05 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Error printing to LPT1: timeout

Howdy-

So, after reinstalling my printer several times, I'll print a page and it will print only about the first 3rd of the document. It will then spit out the half-printed page, and it will go into this endless cycle of printing one line of gooble-dee-gook (sorry, wanted to be able to use that stupid saying) on the first line of next page, spitting that out, and doing it again on the next page. Of course, it used to work fine but now it does this.

I'm no novice to tinkering with computer settings, but this one has escaped me. Thoughts?

OS: Windows ME (yeah. yeah, I know this is an ancient OS; this is my back-up computer I'm talking about. My new one has XP of course).

Printer: HP 920C (5 years old, but works fine on my newer computer. I still have the disk, too)

Thanks,

Chris

Old 02-25-07, 05:31 AM
R
Is this printer connected by a parallel cable (as the title of the post implies) or by a USB cable.

As for your MyEnemy problem, go to Windows 98 which is a better OS than Windows MyEnemy and you will be much better off.

Old 02-25-07, 08:18 AM
Hi:
If your other computer is XP, then try to hook-up it with XP whether it works OK.

One of the HP printers, HP 970Cse works with XP. This printer used to print with '98, then it's old printer about 7 - 8 years old. Despite its old age, this printer is the best amongst the best, because color is very vivid in comparison to other HP which was paid about $350 last year. It's called HP Photosmart, then I exclusively use for photo-printing and get its excellent result.

In my guess, ... if the printer works perfectly OK with XP, then your other OS,
Windows ME doesn't go well with the printer.

Old 02-27-07, 05:57 AM
C
Yes, the printer is connected in parallel. The printer was used on this computer for years; it's only recently that something changed and now I get a port time out error.

Any additional insight?

I'm not switching to Windows 98 nor am I trying to get a different printer, by the way :-) If I felt like spending money then I clearly wouldn't be worried about a $100 printer printing on a 5-year-old-computer :-)

-Chris

Old 02-27-07, 06:50 AM
Most likely a driver issue

Try to find some different printer drivers. Either from the HP web site, or microsoft drivers from the original install CD. Windows update will sometimes have newer drivers if you select the hardware or software updates, in non-critical section.

Uninstall the current drivers and try different ones to see which work best. Could just be the ones installed got corrupt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: