Vista good or bad

Old 03-02-07, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink Vista good or bad

Any one have the new Vista in ????? Do you like it???? I just got it in a new PC . I sure dont like it or the way it works. Just about ready to go back to XP.

ED

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-07, 05:32 PM
S
Ed,
I bought a new PC a few weeks ago for my wife, she's the computer geek in my house (a computer consultant). She tested the beta veraion last fall and was impressed with some of the new features, not sure which ones. I personnaly have only been on it a couple of times and have no opinion.

Old 03-03-07, 01:59 AM
R
I have no plans to upgrade any of my machines. In fact, I do not personally know anyone who has or is planning on it. In some other forums I frequent the overwhelming response to upgrade is no.

One of my coworkers just bought a new computer with vista and he is finding out that he's not too impressed with it, as he now has to go out and purchase a new scanner. His perfectly good scanner is not vista compatable and the mfg has no plans to build new drivers for it. He's not happy about that. Otherwise he said it pretty much looks like XP.

I like XP, and I'm staying with it for now.

Old 03-03-07, 01:25 PM
First of all, I am not a big Microsoft fan. I would use Linux 100% if it did everything I needed it to. However, I do think Windows XP was a pretty good product and have been happy with it for years. I recently bought a new laptop with Vista. I thought I would give it a shot before reverting to XP. I have actually grown to like Vista. It really doesn't offer a whole lot of new functionality, but I still like it. A lot of the problems that people have with it can be resolved. Driver support will come with time. You can turn off the annoying security prompts. Etc...

One of the keys though, is having a computer that will run Vista well. I think you need a minimum 2GB of RAM to be happy with Vista's performance. With 1GB or less, it will feel slower than XP. You also need to have fairly new peripherals (printers, scanners, etc.), or the manufacturers may not spend the time to create Vista drivers.

If you are buying a new computer with Vista, give it at least a few weeks before making a decision to switch to XP. Vista can take a little time to get used to.

If you are thinking about upgrading from XP to Vista, I would say don't. For most users, they will not see any major benefits from upgrading. Also, they would most likely have to upgrade hardware to get it to run at an acceptable performance.

Old 03-03-07, 01:50 PM
I asked the same question directly to M.S. I explained to them that i had 1 gig of memory,160 gig harddrive,3.2 pent 4 and didn't do any "heavy" computing and wanted to know if i would be happy with Vista.
They directed me a download to test my computer to see if it was Vista compatible. I downloaded the program and ran it only to get a error message that it couldn't continue. I did this twice. I'm sticking with windows XP. if this is any indication of Vista.

Old 03-03-07, 06:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My other computer just came in and it has Vista Home Premium. I'm not sure if I like it yet or not. The first time I powered up, it was giving my driver incompatibility errors, which I did end up fixing after downloading 20 updates. The format of Vista does look nice though. Graphics are far better then XP. I have 1GB RAM in that machine and it seems to do fairly well with it. I would not recommend anything less. Network setup was seamless.

The one thing that drives me nuts about Vista is the security features. It took me a long time to figure out how to turn some of it off. A warning would come up asking me if I was sure I wanted to run a typical program. It's called some Assistant thing.

They also have this thing called a "side-bar" which pops up on the right side of your screen with a clock and some other features that I gotta figure out as soon as Vista stops closing it automatically due to some errors.

I think it's to early for me to say Yay or Nay to Vista. I've only had that computer for 1 day.

Old 03-04-07, 12:29 AM
R
Just found this and thought it interesting, as it pertains to our discussion here.

Perhaps the guy just didn't like Bill Gates, or something.

http://slashdot.org/articles/07/03/02/1822256.shtml

An anonymous reader writes "According to a memo being reported on by Information week, the US Department of Transportation has issued a moratorium on upgrading Microsoft products. Concerns over costs and compatability issues has lead the federal agency to prevent upgrades from XP to Vista, as well as to stop users from moving to IE 7 and Office 2007. As the article says, 'In a memo to his staff, DOT chief information officer Daniel Mintz says he has placed "an indefinite moratorium" on the upgrades as "there appears to be no compelling technical or business case for upgrading to these new Microsoft software products. Furthermore, there appears to be specific reasons not to upgrade."'"

Old 03-04-07, 09:22 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
It's been my impression that microsoft puts new products on the market before all the bugs have been worked out. To that end, I never buy a MS product until it's been on the market several months.

Old 03-04-07, 05:05 PM
I've been running Vista Pre-release 1 for over a month now.. I don't like the "Are you sure you want to do this?" garbage that comes up every time I want to change something..

I got real lucky in that my ASUS a7n8x drivers were installed.. Only thing I had to DL were Nvidia video drivers.. I haven't tried to see if my Epson scanner is supported, or my HP printer..

My system is a hopped up gaming machine with an AMD 3200 cpu and 2 gig ram, and the Vista check system reported that it scores a 3.2 on a 0-6 scale.. It's going to take one whopping machine to score a 6 on their scale.. That means cost for a decent machine is going to be high..

Old 03-05-07, 04:50 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rcash54 View Post
Just found this and thought it interesting, as it pertains to our discussion here.

Perhaps the guy just didn't like Bill Gates, or something.

http://slashdot.org/articles/07/03/02/1822256.shtml

An anonymous reader writes "According to a memo being reported on by Information week, the US Department of Transportation has issued a moratorium on upgrading Microsoft products. Concerns over costs and reasons not to upgrade."'"
Most major companies don't upgrade immediately when new version comes out. Not only does it cost a LOT of money, but the inevitable bugs in ALL software hasn't been given the chance to work out. Software companies (MS included) can only do so much beta testing. A few hundred thousand beta testers (if that many) is nothing compared to the millions that start using it once it's released.

The memo (if genuine) was likely intended to direct employees to not take it upon themselves to install these items on their work computers (because we know no one every does THAT).

Old 03-05-07, 07:50 AM
S
Making Vista look like XP

One of the previous posts mentioned that Vista doesn't have a whole lot of added functionality. I agree with that wholeheartedly. I am a huge XP fan and have found myself having trouble adjusting to the new look and feel. One way to stick with Vista and make things look and feel a little more "familiar" is to choose the classic view. You can right-click in your start menu and go to properties. Choose classic view from there and things will look and feel at least a little more "normal" for many of you. It is still different and will take some getting used to, but this may grease the edges a bit.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-07, 11:23 AM
Is there is a Windows 98 view in Vista? To me, that is the 'classic view' and is the one I use. If I up'd to Vista only to find out that the 'classic view' was now Windows XP themed, I'd be very disappointed.

Old 03-05-07, 05:25 PM
I'm still waiting for a Windows 3.10 classic view. :-p

Old 03-05-07, 06:55 PM
Wink

Will I started it and now Im sending it back. That VISTA can just go to H*** . I cant get Microsoft to come up with any drivers at all . They have not a d## thing on their web to down load for it. I have 2.13 Ghz processor 2 GBddr2 sram 320GB hard drive This is the Vista home premium. It took me 2 days to get my HP printer to work. Still cant get my Scanner to work Or my Fujifilm Digital camera with it. Its like its got a mind of its own. Even when Im on Broadband it pops up and wants to know if I want to go on line.Most of the stuff I have tried to load in It said NO NO and it was all Microscoft. The only thing that went right in was Microsoft Flight SimulatorX
Oh well live and learn

Old 03-05-07, 07:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have not had any issues since I turned off some annoying security issues. Vista recognized my wireless broadband instantly without problems along with my printer and digital camera. I didn't have to load anything. Only issue I've had is my Outlook 2002 Pro doesn't work well with Vista and is a known issue.

If I could have ordered this computer with XP on it, I would have, but Dell does not sell computers with that on it anymore.

I do still a Windows XP Professional edition CD with volume licensing though, so I could just install it if I need too. Oh well......

Old 03-06-07, 05:55 AM
K
XP and Vista

I've tried Vista at my dad's place (It was a free upgrade for him) - And I've got to say.....My Presario made in 04 won't run it, and even if it did, it just seems like a rather expensive upgrade at this point.....And with Microsoft's record, it's better (In my opinion) to wait a year or so - For software and drivers that actually work, before installing (It wouldn't install his year old printer, but it would my 3 year old, both HP) - I say stick with XP for now, especially if it's working fine (Unless you HAVE to have the new start button, sidebar, etc).

All I know is you better have at least 128 MB for graphics, or you can kiss that new "Aero Glass" theme goodbye (And if it's not used, it looks just like XP, apparently).....

Kenny

Presario SR1103WM, 512 MB, 2.53 Ghz Celeron, 40 GB internal HD, 80 GB external,HP wireless desktop, and HP Lightscribe DVD Writer

Old 03-06-07, 07:31 AM
2x2
Vista

I think Vista is good but buy a really good dual core 2 processor

Old 03-10-07, 09:01 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
What ever happened to "Choice?"

Seems to me the problems presently experienced with Vista could be avoided, if the purchaser of a new computer where not forced to buy the new computer with Vista already installed.

Why do manufacturers immediately preinstall a new O/S release?
Waiting would benefit the customer. Install the O/S, with all the known fixes to that date and then ship to customer. That would be customer service at it's best, IMO.

Offer the customer a choice. Vista or XP or ????

At least offer the customer buying a new computer a choice, for the first 6 months to a year AFTER the release of a new operating system. (O/S)

Why do computer manufacturers install a new O/S knowing there will be BUGGS? without offering a choice is the question?

Another issue is, once the new O/S is pre-installed after a choice is no longer available, why is the O/S not pre updated with a new installation?

Meaning the same O/S released initially is not reissued with all the known BUGGS and patches pre-installed! Thus waiting would then help resolve problems known to that date of release.

Buy new computer and/or install Vista from CD'S) a year from now, it will be the same O/S on the same installation CD(s) as presently. No re-issue of a O/S without the known BUGGS fixed, removed or patches included.

Same applies to new computer sales. Customers buying new computer later get the same O/S with the same problems presently. Does waiting really help? I doubt it.

Buy now or later? Still have the initial release O/S but will have a ton of "Patches & Fixes" to download....

Thus the choice. Get the Problems now or wait till later to get them.

Old 03-10-07, 03:55 PM
tae
at work we just got a new computer with vista pre loaded. After turning off the annoying user control panel security crap and the yahoo search bar (using msconfig) and starting to tweak it to my use, I found that I really like it. Doing things, and finding things are so much easier, once you know how. I also like the sidebar (which is mainly a place for widgets) although i only use the clock so far. I've only had a couple hours with it, but will spend all day doing more tweaking monday, but I recommend it with a new computer. It may not be a good upgrade, but with new equipment, it works great. Course, maybe it helps I'm viewing it on a new 22" lcd? The puter came with a gig of memory and a 300 gig s.a.t.a. h.d., and I can see anything less memory wise would probably suck. maybe we should start a thread with Vista tips and tricks? Share the information.

Old 03-10-07, 04:01 PM
D
Too soon to tell

Ive heard good and bad. Good Graphics, if you have the newest puter.
Bad for security thru firewall and wireless connection.
I'll wait till they get the bugs out.

Old 03-10-07, 04:16 PM
Wink

Id say I spend about 5 hr every other day with Dell on this new PC with Vista. I found out that the tech's there dont have Vista in their PC. So to see what Im talking about or what it wont do they all have to go over to the one PC there that has Vista in it. Yes it is getting better. But I still cant get my Hp printer, the Scanner or digital camera on yet.
Yes Id say start a post on VISTA here it could help

Old 03-24-07, 08:04 PM
K
Originally Posted by Sharp Advice View Post
What ever happened to "Choice?"

Seems to me the problems presently experienced with Vista could be avoided, if the purchaser of a new computer where not forced to buy the new computer with Vista already installed.

Why do manufacturers immediately preinstall a new O/S release?
Waiting would benefit the customer. Install the O/S, with all the known fixes to that date and then ship to customer. That would be customer service at it's best, IMO.

Offer the customer a choice. Vista or XP or ????
I just configured a Precision Workstation on the Dell Medium/Large Business website. I was given the choice of XP Pro or Vista. I suppose their business customers won't stand for being forced to switch to Vista. Individual home customers aren't given such a choice.

Old 03-25-07, 12:05 PM
Thumbs down

My new Compaq laptop came with Vista Home Basic and it was absolute trash. It would not run most of my XP programs and it was slow as h*** even with a SATA hard drive and 1.5 gb of ram! It does have a cheap Celeron CPU but still; it was to slow. I just put XP on it and I am unable to get all the drivers for it. The HP site has mostly drivers for Vista only for this laptop! I am ready to use the restore CDs to reinstall Vista and sell this sorry excuse for an O.S.!

Old 03-25-07, 05:34 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I bought a new HP computer with XP just prior to the release of Vista. I had the option of signing up for a free upgrade when Vista was released.

I received the Vista disc and a special HP upgrade disc in the mail last week. I doubt that I will install it, the main reason I got it was because it was free. Most of my applications are older versions which work just fine for me, I don't want any surprises by upgrading.

Old 03-27-07, 07:02 AM
2x2
another microsoft embar...?

Originally Posted by msidan View Post
My new Compaq laptop came with Vista Home Basic and it was absolute trash. It would not run most of my XP programs and it was slow as h*** even with a SATA hard drive and 1.5 gb of ram! It does have a cheap Celeron CPU but still; it was to slow. I just put XP on it and I am unable to get all the drivers for it. The HP site has mostly drivers for Vista only for this laptop! I am ready to use the restore CDs to reinstall Vista and sell this sorry excuse for an O.S.!
Looks like another big embarrasement for microsoft? wow? not again
I'm glad you told me I'll never buy

Old 03-27-07, 07:07 AM
2x2
we need new O.S

I guess we will be getting another O.S. soon
we had windows 98 then XP now Vista what next?Get it right?

Old 03-27-07, 04:36 PM
The next one is supposed to be called "Windows Vienna". Who comes up with these names at Microsoft? At least they stopped calling their OSs by the year they came out.

Old 03-28-07, 04:46 AM
MS took notice of Intel when Intel lost thier lawsuit over the 286/386/486 naming convention where the courts said those were part numbers, not names and therefore couldn't be copyrighted or trademarked. That's why Intel (and AMD) now have names for their chips instead of numbers and Microsoft is using names instead of numbers as well.

Old 03-29-07, 09:20 AM
2x2
Intel,AMD,windows & Linux

All computer makers and software makers should unite
and come up with one great O.S and one great computer?
wow & put a default button on it so in case anyone has a problem
them can default back to something that works good