Can you suggest a good voip service

Old 03-08-07, 06:04 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Can you suggest a good voip service

I have tried skype but the phone calls to real numbers are charged. Can you suggest a good free service?

Old 03-08-07, 06:56 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! As the name implies, Voice Over Internet Protocol, that's the free part. All else is revenue producing. We can't really advise anyone as to what product to use or not use, since we give advice on how to do things, not what to buy.

Old 04-02-07, 08:19 AM
J
hey thanks.. fine then. what do i need to have VoIP on my computer? and can i fax, call a phoneline and a mobile phone if ever i use VoIP?

Old 04-02-07, 08:25 AM
R
My service provided the necessary modem. Check with yur local provider for their requirements. My service is seamless and I can call anywhere.

Old 04-02-07, 07:05 PM
tae
take a look here:
http://www.icall.com/

Old 04-04-07, 06:09 AM
J
My service provided the necessary modem. Check with yur local provider for their requirements. My service is seamless and I can call anywhere.

uhh.. okay.. but im on dial up? can it use VoIP? i used skype. my computer gets sluggish and there are voice delays from the person on the other line.

take a look here:
http://www.icall.com/

have you tried this one yet, tae?

Old 04-04-07, 06:34 AM
The quality and overall reliability of the phone connection is entirely reliant upon the quality, reliability, and speed of the Internet connection which it is using. Shortcomings with Internet connections and Internet Service Providers (ISPs) can affect VoIP calls. Higher overall network latencies can lead to significantly reduced call quality and cause certain problems such as echoing. Certain providers, such as Time Warner Cable, offer a Voice over IP product to their customers without requiring an Internet service.

Old 04-04-07, 09:35 AM
You need broadband to use VOIP..
Just remember, when the power goes out, no phone..

Old 04-04-07, 10:57 AM
R
Using VOIP over dial up seems pointless to me. Frankly, I didn't even know it was possible. You still pay for the telephone line, you're limited in speed and you tie up your connection. My VOIP modem is tied into my router and I can use all four computers on line at the same time as I use the phone. I have no trouble faxing.

Old 04-05-07, 03:52 AM
J
but it does make perfect sense. Imagine calling new york when im in california. That call would incur long distance charges per minute! but if im on VoIP, it would be free of charge. the only problem is, im on dial up.

anyway, i found this website while surfing the net. I actually tried it out by calling a friend and it pretty much worked fine for my slow internet bandwidth.
i didn't have to install or download anything.

**No advertising in the forums.**

I want to try faxing to send a couple of documents. do you have any idea on how to set it up?

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 04-05-07 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Removed commercial link
Old 04-05-07, 05:35 AM
You can get a calling card and make LD calls for $.02/min..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: