Networking XP and 98 SE

Old 03-10-07, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Networking XP and 98 SE

Hi all, I've read through some of the threads dealing with this already, but I haven't found anything to help me yet. Let me explain what I'm trying to do and what I've done so far:

I bought a new computer about a year ago that has windows xp.
I have an old computer with win 98 se.

I had these two successfully networked for several months, file and printer sharing were working.

I decided it was time to reinstall windows on my xp computer because it was getting all muttled and slow. Now it's back to fresh and fast, great!

But I can not get it to network to any other computer in my house.

I have cable internet access with a netgear router. I have had 2 other win XP computers on this router with mine, and they were able to share files on the network between themselves, but none were able to get to my files on my computer, and I wasn't able to get to their files either.

After it was out of the house for a while, I have my old win 98 computer back; and it's just my one win xp and my one win 98 se computer on the router. Both have internet access. But the file and printer sharing is not working. The workgroup on my win 98 computer only shows its self in the list, and my win xp computer has nothing in the workgroup list.

I have run the network troubleshoot on my win xp computer. Everything checked out except the ping test. Neither of the computers can ping each other, but my network equipment is working ok. (It says I have a hardware problem in the troubleshooter if I can't ping the other computer.) Can I have workign internet on both computers if there is a hardware problem?

I hope I have included everything, even though it may not be in the most wonderful order. I can not figure out why I could network these two exact computers before using the exact same hardware, but now I can't since I wiped my new computer.

Can anybody help?

Thanks for your time,
Jason

Last edited by Jason R; 03-10-07 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-11-07, 06:55 AM
R
You do not have a hardware problem. You have a configuration problem.

Did you turn off the fire wall on the XP computer, or at least open the appropriate ports for allowing access?

Did you set the XP computer to allow file sharing?

There are a myriad of things to setup.

Microsoft has documents and documents on how to set this up. Have you followed them?

Old 03-11-07, 11:51 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by racraft View Post
You do not have a hardware problem. You have a configuration problem.

Did you turn off the fire wall on the XP computer, or at least open the appropriate ports for allowing access?
Yes. I knew I was going to forget some things in my question. I have the firewall turned off.

Did you set the XP computer to allow file sharing?
Yes. Sharing for my entire c drive is enabled.

There are a myriad of things to setup.

Microsoft has documents and documents on how to set this up. Have you followed them?
I know I must just be forgetting something. I've surfed around the net looking for instruction. I have not thought about going to microsoft though. I just don't understand why it used to work but now it doesn't.

I thank you very much for your help.

Old 03-11-07, 06:43 PM
Check out the permissions for the share. If you have your entire C drive shared (which might not be the best idea), right click on the C drive. Goto sharing, click permissions. Make sure that the other computer will be able to access your share. You could add a user called "everyone" and give them read only access. Just remember that this will give anyone on your network access to your files. If that works, you can setup some better security so that everyone can't access your files. But first lets see if that works.

Also, how are you attempting to access this share? Do you enter the computer name or IP address (i.e. \\pc or \\192.168.1.2)? Or are you using the Network Neighborhood?

Old 03-12-07, 04:27 AM
D
I know this can be frustrating,

but take a step back and a deep breath.

Start with the basics. Is file and printer sharing installed on the XP machine?
Is the workgroup name the same on both computers? Can the XP computer access the internet or ping the router?

Can the Win98 computer access the internet or ping the router? Is the network driver installed on the Win98 system? Is the file and printer sharing service installed? Is the login set for "Windows Family"?

Have you tried the XP home networking wizard? It will create a disk for the Win98 machine as well.

Trying to help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: