E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
lap top fan

laptop over heats,how tough is it to open up to change the fan on a HP

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-07, 04:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
10 or 12 screws, and pry the clamshell apart. Taking laptops apart isn't for the weak or trembling. You have two or three plugs to undo, so remember where they go, and be gentle. It isn't a 460 cu in engine with a 750 cfm dual line holley sitting on top. My local computer store shys away from doing work on laptops. But with a wife who drips water, drops or otherwise is rough on laptops, I have to keep two going for her at any given time, so I am relegated to doing the work myself.
If you have any parts left over, something is wrong. Good luck.

Old 03-19-07, 05:13 PM
many times the fan is built right into the motherboard so may require an entire motherboard replacement to fix the fan. Hopefully yours is different!

If it is that way and it appears to not be easily replaceable, try taking the central sticker off of the fan, carefully place a drop of household oil and place the sticker back so it covers the bearing. I've extended and/or revitalized the life of fans several years by doing that periodically.

Old 03-20-07, 11:53 AM
T
alot of times the cooling fans on laptops are so cheaply made that after a couple of years use, the blades just simply melt on them... i dont think that an older HP has the fan attached to the motherboard...replacing or repairing can be done for a DIYer but the biggest thing is patience and dont force anything

Old 03-20-07, 08:46 PM
E
thanks for the replies. turns out its still under warranty lets see how this goes before i open a can of worms.

Old 03-25-07, 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by dengle View Post
many times the fan is built right into the motherboard so may require an entire motherboard replacement to fix the fan. Hopefully yours is different!
I've worked on just about every laptop make known to man, can't say I've ever seen a non replaceable fan.

Old 03-29-07, 09:31 PM
E
well sent the laptop to HP told them it overheats fan dont work .... they called today said its liquid damage to the mother board $700.00 they will fix it. i told them it worked fine untill it got hot. it would shut down. i got a little loud with the not so well spoken gent after asking him reapeatedly to say again, excuse me.ect... i think im going to get back a computer that dont work at all.

Old 03-30-07, 03:55 AM
Get it back and take it to a local repair shop. I'm assuming it's out of warranty? If it's under warranty and does have spill damage, they have every right to charge you.

Old 04-04-07, 02:59 PM
E
we got the laptop back today they did not even open it up they say it needs MB ...same as before after about 1/2 hour no fan it shuts off i could be wrong but if fan dont work will it shut down hi temp. i took it apart about 50 screws the fan is out HP wants $80. ebay wants $50 its a sunon mag lev gco55515vh-a if i could get one for $30. i would try to see if that solves the problem. it worth a shot thanks for past and addional replys. it was noisy before it stopped working berring feels sloppy some char marks around the fan think its burnt out or could it be a signal like thermostat from MB. also no signs of liquid inside.

Last edited by e150club; 04-04-07 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-04-07, 06:04 PM
Hook the wire leads for the fan up to a 9volt battery. If the fan spins, it's good, if not, your mobo is shot.

Old 04-05-07, 06:13 AM
Why would the MB be bad if the fan doesn't spin?
If the fan doesn't spin, the FAN is bad..

Old 04-05-07, 02:44 PM
E
i put 9v to the fan and smelt motor windings burnt id say the fan is shot but could the burnt motor smoke the MB as well. this fan has to be an exact replacement there is no room for a retrofit im gonna try to get a replacment fan and give it a shot. id hate to pay HP $80. they said it was under warr. until they had it in their shop. the tech support knows our language very well but i cant understand them very well. very much thank you.

Old 04-06-07, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
Why would the MB be bad if the fan doesn't spin?
If the fan doesn't spin, the FAN is bad..
Because your not understanding the post, if the fan works when connected to the battery, that means the motherboard isn't supply voltage to the fan, and that means the motherboard would be bad.

Old 04-13-07, 05:27 PM
E
well got the new fan today put it back together fan works comp. dont shut down but it seems to be running slow lots of processes running. i can't play around with it cause my refrigerator broke down. need to transfer food to other frig and throw out the rest. thanks i just found the appliance repair section

Old 04-14-07, 01:09 PM
T
looks like you went through the same thing i did with compaq/hp... they must have a set price because they told me i was going to have a 700 dollar bill as well... i told them the laptop wasnt worth that...

i got heated with them, many many times... they also told me that we spilled something on it... i told them they were full of S*it because the laptop never left the table of the sofa...

in the end i kept going up in the boss ladder until someone fixed my under warranty laptop

HP/Compaq worst customer service i have ever seen, will never buy another one again just for that reason

on a side note, always buy their extended warranty, it covers everything including driving over it with a car..no questions asked..lol

Old 04-15-07, 09:35 PM
E
its only been two days but the $25. fan i got seems to have fixed the problem.its my sons laptop he plays warcraft for hours at a time hes not complaining i think its fixed. and my broken frige is also fixed $49. compressor start devce. [relay & therm. protector]... this is a great site thanks all.

Old 04-15-07, 10:32 PM
T
glad your son gets to play his games again.. nothing like a bored kid..lol