WD Harddrive install

Old 03-20-07, 01:12 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
WD Harddrive install

I just installed a new 160 gig drive as a second drive.The drive shows up in windows ok but every time I restart the computer I get the hardware wizard in Windows XP telling me the it cannot install the drive. The drive is installed and is working fine. Thanks for any input!

Old 03-20-07, 07:22 PM
tae
Is it EIDE or Serial ATA drive? Is it/did you... partitioned and formatted.
The drive must have at least one partition. After a partition is created and formatted, a drive letter is assigned to the partition in Windows and you can access the drive.

Old 03-21-07, 06:41 AM
R
ata

It is a serial ata drive. The drive is formated and is a NTFS file system setup. It has a drive letter and works fine. It shows up in "my computer" and I can access it for reading and writing with no trouble. It's just that nagging setup window I get from the hardware manager each time I start windows. It says the driver "has not passed the windows logo test", so I stop installation and then the hardware wizard says the drive is not installed, but it is. The Western Digital web site was no help at all. Thanks

Old 03-21-07, 07:39 PM
tae
cant you just let it install...continue anyway?

check for the cryptographics services running. if not try restarting the service and check if it works.

Old 03-21-07, 07:59 PM
C
Let it install the driver.

Old 03-23-07, 04:50 AM
R
now what

I have let the driver try to load and a screen comes up and says driver not installed your hardware is not loaded. I have checked the cryptographies services and all seems well. The drive is installed but Windows won't believe it. One person said to turn off the hardware manager but I would have to turn it back on if I wanted to install any hardware in the future. Maybe I will just have to live with the nag screen.

Old 03-23-07, 06:11 PM
T
Robinhood61,
Are there any errors listed in the device manager for this hardware? Also, if you go under device manager for that device and select "driver update" does it help?

Old 03-24-07, 04:36 PM
J
WD Harddrive install

No one has asked if your BIOS will handle a drive that big. Can you see the full capacity of the drive in both the BIOS and in Windows? Just for giggles I might consider splitting the drive in two. Secondarily, is the first drive SATA as well or is it IDE?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: