Can't Copy & Paste

Old 03-20-07, 02:01 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't Copy & Paste

I have an older system with 98SE. I can't copy and paste. I've had different friends look and try, but it just will not work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Robertk

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-07, 03:09 PM
R
You can't copy and paste WHAT? Not every application supports cut and paste. Those that do may not support it using ctrl-c and ctrl-v. Not everything can be cut and pasted.

Old 03-20-07, 03:45 PM
T
Unsubscribe

Last edited by tomtom59; 03-24-07 at 12:57 PM. Reason: unsubscribe
Old 03-21-07, 06:43 AM
R
Can't Copy & Paste

Thanks racraft & tomtom59 for replies. I can't copy & paste e-mail or any thing from internet. I can copy documents that are on my computer. I followed your directions tomtom59. The cut & paste were enabled.

I tried again and clicked on paste special and a window opened. "Rich Text RTF", was high lighted. I clicked on "unformatted Text" it copied and pasted. When I tried again, clicking on paste it would not copy. I clicked paste special again and it copied when I clicked "unformatted text". How can I make the "unformatted Text" setting permanent?
Thanks Roberk

Last edited by Robertk; 03-21-07 at 07:36 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 03-21-07, 07:33 AM
R
You can't copy and paste WHAT? Text? Pictures? How are you attempting to cut and paste? Are you highlighting the text and using the right click pop-up menus? Are you using ctrl-c, ctrl-x and ctrl-v? What web browser? What email program?

Give us as much detail as possible.

Old 03-21-07, 07:53 AM
R
Can't Copy & Paste

Thanks racraft for answering. I'm a rather illeterate (sp) on this computer but am trying to learn. I am coping mostly text from e-mail. I have never had a problem with it till recently. All of a sudden when I tried to copy text from an e-mail, I highlighted the text clicked edit, copy, opened word pad and clicked paste and nothing happened, my cursor just blinked. I just now tried to copy this message and it copied. As I said in my last post I had tried to change the text format. It kept going back to Rich Text. I don't know if this is my problem or not. If you can make out what I am trying to say, you are a whiz.Thanks a lot for your patience and any help. I am on aol. I am using the aol tool bar to copy and paste.(I just now discovered right click pop up,I'm learning every day) How in the world can you people put up with such dummies. Thanks
Robertk

Last edited by Robertk; 03-21-07 at 08:01 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 03-21-07, 07:43 PM
tae
it's in the rtf format. do you have a program that can read rtf?

rtf is also suseptable to virus's. Is your antivirus stopping it?

Old 03-22-07, 08:04 AM
R
Can't Copy & Paste

Thank you tae. I'm sorry but I don't know what rtf format is or what programs run in what format. I apologize but man I'm just lost. Can I change the format? I have had no problems with this problem for 6 or 7 years, then suddenly wham. I have an anti virus program that came with the compu, but I doubt that it even does any good. Any tip or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
Robertk

Old 03-22-07, 11:40 AM
Couple things.

1. It could be the AOL toolbar that is not properly copy-pasting. Try it out in internet explorer or firefox, and see if it works there.

2. You should probably install a new anti-virus program. If yours is 6-7 years old, it needs to be updated. There are several good free programs out there, like AVG or Avast.

3. RTF is rich text format. Wordpad or Microsoft Word should both be able to read/write that format. I don't think there is any problem there.

Old 03-23-07, 07:43 AM
R
Can't Copy & Paste

Thanks kchinth. I tried explorer, it would not work. I apologize for my ignorance, but I don't know how or if I have Firefox. Any other hints or suggestions? I am going to try to download one of the anti viruses you recommended now. If you can guide me to firefox use or installation I would appreciate it very much. Thanks
Robertk

Old 03-23-07, 08:07 AM
R
When I used to use Windows 98, I found that eventually things would go wrong that I could not fix. Okay, I probably could eventually fix them, I just never bothered. I say this because Windows 98 would eventually bog down anyway. I was in the habit of reinstalling Windows 98 about every 12 to 18 months or so. Not only did this fix the inherent problems of the OS that only a reinstall can fix, it also fixed the nagging items that went wrong.

If you have had this system for six or seven years, I'm sure that you are about due (or well past due) for a reinstall anyway. You might want to consider starting over from scratch. Not only will this fix your current problem, it will fix the problems you don't know you have, and it will greatly speed up your computing experience.

Old 03-23-07, 01:10 PM
I think these are your three options....
1. Reformat and reinstall Windows 98.
2. Live without copy-paste.
3. Buy a new computer.

Old 03-23-07, 01:27 PM
R
Can't Copy & Paste

Thanks racraft. Should I uninstall my 98SE, or just reinstall it? If I uninstall it will I lose any other programs? I had a new hard drive installed over a year ago and I had to install the 98SE then and all other programs. I know this thing is old, but I have all my life kept and picked up old discarded and worn out appliances or any other junk and fixed them when I or some one (and there are a lot of people out in this world that will appreciate it) could use them. I assure you it wasn't computers. I have probably 5 acres of what some people call junk. I like to think of it as something I or some one can use some day. Thanks
Robert

Old 03-24-07, 08:36 AM
J
Hold off on reinstall

Reinstall may not be the answer!! When others run into stupid problems such as these it usually indicates that there are other residents in your computer besides the ones you put in. You need to first do the "Security Tango" Go to this WebPage ( http://securitytango.com/ ) read the easy instructions and let me know what the outcome was. With Win98 you may only have Explorer 5.5 (When Explorer is open go to "Help" and choose "About Explorer" to see which version you have). If it is 5.5 you might want to upgrade to version 6. Avoid version 7 and not because it isn't good but because you probably don't have the resources to run it properly. I am not sure if version 6 is still available at this time but I will check around and get it for you if you want it.

Old 03-24-07, 12:59 PM
T
fhhhggkkkgfddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Old 03-25-07, 04:50 AM
Thumbs up Copy and Paste

Try to paste it into Note Pad first, then copy it from Note Pad and paste into Word Pad. This seems to work for me when I have simular problems...