just reinstalled xp. my dvd drive isn't recognized

Old 03-27-07, 03:30 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
just reinstalled xp. my dvd drive isn't recognized

I just reinstalled my xp upgrade as a new install on a new HD. I've had the upgrade (from 98se) since M$ stopped updating 98se. I decided to keep the old upgrade for a while (and I'm using it now) because I haven't finished reinstalling my programs and utilities. On my xp upgrade, both my CD burner and my DVD burner work ok. however in the new xp clean install, the cd burner is ok, but my dvd burner isn't recognized by xp and won't open manually (although when booting I can open and close it manually until the windows xp loads then it locks and there's no power at all to the dvd burner. it's also not recognized under the device mgr but it is recognized under the old xp upgrade. I tried unplugging it, booting the new install to windows, then powering off, hooking it back up, and it's still not recognized (add new hardware or device manager). any suggestions?

Old 03-27-07, 08:48 PM
J
Sounds like a driver problem

If i understand correctly, both drives work fine with the 1st hard drive that u have been using for awhile but not with the new hard drive u did a clean install on. Cant be the drive then, so i would suggest making sure all the drivers from your motherboard are installed or reinstalled. The IDE driver in particular. Most motherboards have special drivers for built-in features like network connection, video, IDE, sound etc. if they are built into the motherboard.

Where does your problem drive connect in your system? External, IDE , same cable as other drive??

You might want to download a fresh set of drivers from the motherboard or computer manufacturers website.

Old 03-28-07, 08:28 AM
J
It appears to have something to do with the old HP CD burner. I reversed both burners, put the DVD burner as primary and the old HP CD burner as secondary on that IDE channel, and the bios wouldn't recognize either one and windows xp clean install would only recognize the HP. When I remove the old HP CD burner and put the DVD burner as primary with the new install both the bios and windows recognize the DVD burner correctly. I just pulled the old HP and I'll put it in my 2000 box. Strange though that the bios recognizes both when the windows xp upgrade is in, but won't recognize either one when the new xp clean install alone drive is on-board.

Old 03-28-07, 07:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Set the pins on both drives to CS (Cable select) and put them on the same IDE cable..

Old 03-29-07, 09:36 AM
There are a lot of things that may be wrong, but the first two things to try are:
1) Go to microsoft.com and download Service Pack 2, if you need to. I don't know which version of XP you have, but I just bought a new computer, and even that one told me to download SP2 on the initial startup.
2) Go to microsoft.com and download the latest drivers for your version of XP.

If that does not work, go to the DVD manufacturer website, and see if they have any new or updated drivers for their product.

Usually, a lack of drivers causes a problem like yours. Why it wouldn't be in the version you use is a mystery to me.

Old 03-29-07, 12:22 PM
J
""Set the pins on both drives to CS (Cable select) and put them on the same IDE cable..---------that's an idea. I've never used cable select before, only primary & secondary. I've been swapping out drives, trying some new imaging/ghosting/cloning software so I don't have to reinstall windows again (hopefully), and that would sure make it a ^%$$#$% lot easier. I'll try it. btw, I'm using sp2, and the HP is not the problem by itself, it's recognized, it's only when it's either primary or secondary to the dvd burner, where the DVD burner disappears. I've had the HP since the old windows 98se days and it's probably only supposed to work with 98se or 2k. I'll just put it in my 2k box until I buy a dvd burner for it. .......thx for the suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: