PNY flash drive 1G

Old 04-07-07, 12:08 PM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
PNY flash drive 1G

Can you just click the red "eject" button or do you need to go to the place where it says mass volume etc and lists drives to 'stop'? Thank you

Old 04-07-07, 12:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I click on eject..
If the light isn't blinking, take it out..

Old 04-07-07, 12:17 PM
R
I always stop the drive but I can't give a good reason for it, except my fifteen year-old said it. And if it is electronic and a kid said it, it must be true.

Old 04-07-07, 12:45 PM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
two ways to remove

There seems to be two ways to remove the drive and I hope both are correct. I can use the 'eject' fine but what actual words do you hilite to stop the drive -there is a confusing choice when done this way.
I notice stoping the device says it is ok to remove but eject just makes a musical note with no reference to "stopping"..

Old 04-07-07, 12:47 PM
R
I select the name of the drive and stop it.

Old 04-07-07, 01:38 PM
R
If possible always stop services to USB

I know that I have crashed a couple of USB drives by not stopping them before I unplugged them. I have found the best thing to do is to click the icon in the system tray down by the clock and tell it to stop the particular USB drive and wait for it to say that it is safe to remove before I pull it out.

When I have not done that I have had instances where data gets messed up or the last couple of files that I was working on become unreadable. And the only way to fix them was to reformat the whole USB drive.

One click could save you alot of trouble.

Old 04-07-07, 03:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
We rednecks think alike. I use the systray Icon, click it once and then click the drive until it tells me to remove it. I haven't crashed any thumb drives, but have messed up a couple of photo disks by pulling them out of the reader without stopping it

Old 04-08-07, 02:56 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
When that drive is loaded, go to drive properties and make sure file caching for that drive is disabled (most removable drives are disabled by default).

As soon as the drives indicator light stops flashing it is no longer being written/read and you can remove it.

I have never used stop/eject and have never had a data loss, just make sure write behind caching is disabled as described above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: