How do I do a "system restore" on XP?

Old 04-11-07, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I do a "system restore" on XP?

I'm having problems running Acrobat on my computer. It used to work fine, but within the last few weeks it has started locking up when my wife tries to open the PDF file she needs for her job. On another thread someone posted that you could restore the operating system to a date prior to when the problem started happening to clear it up, but I have no idea how to do that. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-07, 01:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you create a system backup point previously to the trouble? If not, you have no restore point to go back to..

If you did, Click Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

That is also where you create restore points..

Old 04-11-07, 01:51 PM
XP has terrific help. Select help and then type in "system restore". You will be able to learn all about it, which I strongly suggest you do BEFORE you attempt to restore.

Blindly doing a restore without knowing what the process involves or how it works is ill advised. You want to know what will happen before you try it.

Old 04-11-07, 02:11 PM
Actually, it seems to be pretty foolproof!

I went ahead and did the restore; I hadn't set a restore point previously, but the little popup calender showed several dates to choose from to restore to. Maybe it's set up to automatically do it from time to time, I don't know.

Anyway, I picked a random date from January and restored to that. When it came back up, a lot of software that I had installed since then disappeared. That spooked me because I didn't want to have to remember everything I'd added in the last 3 months.

So I went back and did an "undo restore." That brought everything back to where it was before. Now since the computer had just rebooted, I figured I had nothing to lose by trying the Adobe file again; if it locked up, I'd just reboot again.

But apparently the whole process reset something, because the problem file loaded in seconds as did every other PDF file I could find to try! Hot-Diggity Dog, we're back in business!

Thanks for the advice!