Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Computers, Internet Capable Devices and Peripherals
Reload this Page >

Dumb computer question. When told to look in %program files, where do you look?

Old 04-19-07, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

When you're trying to hunt down a possible malware program(s) and your research says to look in %program etc, etc. Where exactly do you look in XP. Is this just in C-program files? I've tried to google this % before program files in every possible way I can think of, and I can't find an explanation. this is all I've been able to come with..........
In the command processors COMMAND.COM (DOS) and CMD.EXE (OS/2 and Windows), %1, %2,... stand for the first, second,... parameters of a batch file. %VAR1% represents the value of an environment variable named VAR1. Thus:

set PATH=c:\;%PATH%

sets a new value for PATH, the old value preceded by "c:\;".
..............and btw, how do/can you turn on either VBcode or HTML on in this forum so you can use quote, bold, etc. thx.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-07, 05:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
vbcode is turned off in the forums for some reason and cannot be turned on.

What problems are you having?

Have you ran a program like SpyBot Search & Destroy?

Old 04-19-07, 06:37 PM
""Have you ran a program like SpyBot Search & Destroy?"" --- I run all the usual anti-malware as well as nod32 AV. there's nothing unusual in these scans as well as nothing unusual in the hijackthis log. My firewall had a PU that run32dll.exe was trying to open a port to the internet, which I denied because I'd never seen it before. My research shows that this is possibly a keylogger program, pal pc spy. I haven't had any more attempts, but I'm having some unusual activity with a few udp connection attempts and Fx has been acting funny when started. They are being monitored/logged by wireshark. I'm just trying to hunt down a few files. one being %System%\PAL\CSS\run32dll.exe, before I restore the OS from a previous clean image.

Old 04-19-07, 08:10 PM
tae
basically forget the percent sign.
the system folder will be in the windows folder....my computer/(drive letter)/Windows/system....just follow the hierarchy down the chain.

Old 04-19-07, 08:41 PM
""basically forget the percent sign.
the system folder will be in the windows folder....my computer/(drive letter)/Windows/system....just follow the hierarchy down the chain."" ---thx, -----tae. btw, are there any good malware programs or support programs to detect keyloggers?

Old 04-20-07, 07:04 PM
tae
most malware scanners will do a pretty good job detecting them, especially if run in safe mode. There are some keyloggers that mimic real programs. I personally use a firewall to make sure nothing I dont want gets out,but this means I do a complete format and fresh install of the o.s., and then keep a close watch on the settings for the firewall. Someone can access the computer, install a keylogger, then allow the firewall to give it access. you have to know your settings.

Old 04-20-07, 07:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also, these malware programs are getting really really difficult to remove. Just recently, I was fixing a friends computer who had numerous viruses and malware due to no firewall or av. There was a malware program called "winfixer" on this machine and could not be removed no matter what malware remover program I tried.
It's easier and faster for me to just reformat and reload the o.s.