Note Book Questions

Old 04-21-07, 10:52 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Note Book Questions

My wife got a Dell Latitude notebook from work for free(my kinda price) It's a Pent. 3 650 mhz, 128 mb ram, 8mb video ram, 20gb hard drive, 3.5 floppy drive.
Here's my questions:
1) What are the risks of buying used memory? a 256 module on E Bay is about $3.00 & from crucial it's $58.00 so 512mb will be $6.00 vs $ 118.00. P.S. it says it's 100% guarenteed.(e bay)
2) It does not have an ethernet connection in it,can I just add a wireless pc card? (I already have a wireless router)
3)I'm planning on replacing the floppy drive with a CD burner & installing XP

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-07, 01:56 PM
R
Don't waste your time. If XP installs, it will likely be very slow. 512 MBytes is the bare minimum for XP.

Old 04-21-07, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I agree with Bob, find a good copy of 98SE and install it. If you already are using a router, you can use a pcmcia wireless card, but if you prefer ethernet, you can also use a pcmcia ethernet connection.
Check with www.memory.com to see what the maximum configuration of memory will be for your computer. You can't exceed the max. I almost always buy memory that way. I hate retail prices. If the memory turns out to be bad, you're out $3.

Old 04-21-07, 06:40 PM
It should run OK with Win2000..

Old 04-23-07, 07:12 AM
Seems like a waste to try and get this laptop to run decent. You are planning on buying memory, a network card, windows, and a CD burner. I doubt that the laptop can handle much more RAM. Old computers had small limits. I can almost guarantee that it won't support 512 MB.

Not sure how much all of your upgrades will cost, but you can get deals on new laptops for around $500.

Old 04-23-07, 08:57 AM
If I had a free laptop, I would want to play with it also.. It's still good for many uses..
Go to the Dell website and look up the specs on the laptop to find out how much RAM it'll take.. There should be a service number on a tag affixed to the laptop that you can search for at Dell.com.. That will give you ALL the info on the particular laptop you have..

If it has a PCMCIA card slot, you can plug a wireless card into it..

Old 04-24-07, 09:55 AM
I agree it has some use left in it, but I don't think its worth putting too much money into. At a minimum you need to buy a CD drive and a wireless card. Optionally you need to buy more memory and probably a new battery. If you don't have a spare copy of windows 98, I'm not sure how you plan on installing an operating system. Windows XP will not run well at all. You can install Linux for free, but that requires a decent amount of computer knowledge.

Good luck.

Old 04-24-07, 01:30 PM
T
heres where i disagree a little bit... i use an old Hp desktop with WinXP pro - student edition and seriously, it runs better than the win98 that it had b4...

Computer:
Intel Pentium III processor
601 MHz 256 MB of RAM

if the laptop is just used to surf and nothing really graphic related, then try out the XP. if you dont like it, then you can nuke the harddrive and reinstall the OS you want

Old 04-26-07, 02:53 PM
C
You can probably run XP with the eye candy turned off.

If I was using it for a serious work machine, I'd put XP or 2000 on it, or a recent Linux, which takes no more skill or knowlege to get working than Windows does. XP can work on 128 MB, but not very well on such a slower machine.

For playing around. I'd let 98SE get installed, or Linux.

Old 04-26-07, 05:13 PM
M
I agree...I have a Dell Latitude also and I installed XP on it and it ran pretty slow. That was even after I installed more RAM. So, just go with the 98SE and you will be fine.

I also have a wireless network in my house and I had no problems with the wireless network card for the laptop. Also, there was a recall on the power cords for these computers so DONT leave the laptop plugged in over night or when you leave your house. The recall was because the power cords would catch fire if left plugged in to long. They do get pretty hot.