keyboard failure

Old 05-10-07, 03:28 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
keyboard failure

This happens randomly. It sometimes happens when I first boot up but more often when starting from a standy. My keyboard just doesn't work. Everything else is okay and the mouse works just fine.

My keyboard may, or may not, have the Num Lock LED lit. None of the keys do anything and I have to restart the computer and then everything works as it should.

I have this happen on two different computers and with it makes no difference if I swap the keyboards around.

The computer I am using now is a HP Slimline s7600y and the other computer is a Compaq Presario SR1610NX. Both are running XP with all the updates in place.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-07, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If your keyboard is USB, you might try moving it to a different USB port. I have noticed that sometimes when waking up, USB ports don't always respond the way they are supposed to. This tends to be more of a hardware "glitch" than a software problem. If this doesn't do the trick, you might try switching to a different keyboard to see if the problem continues.

Old 05-10-07, 04:00 PM
Nope, they are PS2 keyboards. I have swapped the two keyboards with the two computers and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

BTW, my mouse (on each computer) is a USB unit. One is a wireless and the other is wired.

Old 05-10-07, 04:53 PM
just do what everyone else is doing and get a laptop

Old 05-10-07, 05:58 PM
A couple of things to try come to mind:

1) In Device Manager, and uninstall any keyboard device, then reboot.

Repeat step #1 and click on the keyboard properties and deselect under the power management tab, "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" then reboot.

2) Do you have "Hibernate" enabled? If you do go into the power settings menu and un-check Hibernate.

Last edited by Traveler1125; 05-10-07 at 06:00 PM. Reason: artistic license
Old 05-10-07, 08:59 PM
Thank you, Traveler. I found that hibernate was enabled and I unchecked it. I have to try the easy ones first.

Old 05-11-07, 12:40 AM
Well, scratch that one about hibernate.

I unchecked the hibernate function and then went into standby. About 2-1/2 hours later I hit the space bar and the hdd started up. Nothing on the monitor and then just the arrow corsor shows. I hit the space bar again and I got some "artifacts dancing across the (LCD) monitor. I had to use the power button to shutdown and restart.

Any more ideas?

I'll try the Device Manager function in a couple of days. I expect to be busy with other things Friday and Saturday.

Old 05-11-07, 05:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
hbsparky: what makes you think everyone else is getting a laptop?
Why would that fix the problem the OP has?

furd: is there a BIOS function that may be doing it?
I always have problems with hibernate, and prefer to not use it..

Old 05-12-07, 05:47 AM
Have you changed your video settings recently? Just a thought ... Try changing them temporarily to lower resolution and H/V refresh rates. See if that helps.

One of the IT guys had my work PC (XP) for a couple of days last week for some upgrades. They never ask for the monitor, keyboard or mouse. When I got it back my monitor came up with an "Out of Range" error and wouldn't display. I booted into Safe Mode and found out the PS2 keyboard & mouse weren't working either.

Rebooted into Safe Mode (hold F8 while booting). Got command line boot errors about Keyboard Failure ("Press Any Key to Continue" -- Hah!) and Mouse Not Found. Booted again into Safe Mode. The mouse worked. Changed the video card's settings to minimum and rebooted into normal. Mouse & Keyboard worked. Changed the video settings back to my prefs and rebooted. Everything's been working fine since.

Old 06-05-07, 07:23 PM
Well, none of the suggestions helped.

I bought a USB keyboard last night and left the PS2 keyboard connected with the USB keyboard. I had no problem even with the computer in standby for eight hours. Both keyboards would work just fine so I unplugged the USB keyboard and the PS2 keyboard failed to work. Reconnecting the USB keyboard made no difference, neither would work until I re-booted the silly computer.

I have decided that what I need is a USB keyboard that I am comfortable with, the cheapie I bought has smaller keys and just feels cheap. I'm returning it tonight.

Any suggestions on a new keyboard? I don't think I want an ergonomic as I tried one at work for a while and could not get used to it and I don't really have the room on my desk for one.

Old 06-06-07, 01:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try different KBs at the store and see what feels good to you.. We could give you 50 different suggestions, but it all comes down to what you like..