shrinking MP3's

Old 05-10-07, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
shrinking MP3's

is there a program out there that I can use to shrink soem mp3 files?? I have some self help type files that are 87 mb...and need to fit it to burn on a CD...I know I can condense a DVD a little, and want to do it with the mp3's

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-07, 05:00 PM
just convert them to a lower bit-rate...say instead of 160, go to 128

Old 05-10-07, 05:40 PM
??

how do I do that?....I follow good directions, but I dont know what that means..

Old 05-10-07, 05:45 PM
someone did it!

I just put a 3+ hour segment that only took up 3.5 megs on my CD....I am confused.........

Old 05-10-07, 07:05 PM
A CD can hold usually about 700mb worth of data. When burning a data disc full of mp3s you can easily fit many albums on one CD.

Old 05-18-07, 09:04 PM
You really can't "shrink" an mp3, they are already compressed.

Do you want to burn it as data or audio? Data would mean you need a computer and mp3 software to play it, or a cd player that can play mp3 CD's. Audio means you just need a cd player.

You can fit about 700mb of data or 70 minutes of audio on 1 CD. A 1MB mp3 file is typically around 1 minute, so you probably won't be able to fit an 87MB file on 1 audio cd, since it only holds about 70 minutes. Burning as data would be no problem.

Old 05-19-07, 05:42 AM
Although you can reduce the size of an MP3, you can't reduce the time it takes to play. If a 128bps MP3 takes 90 minutes to play, a 64bps version will take less disc space, but it will still be 90 minutes long. When the burning software converts it to uncompressed audio for inclusion on an audio CD, it will be 90 minutes long -- too much for an audio CD.

The only option you have to is split the file into two segments and burn two audio CDs. While you're at it, you might as well split it into several tracks. It will be easier to navigate on a CD than using FF or Rewind.

Old 05-20-07, 07:26 AM
If you know how, you can speed up a recording. It will take software that speed up the software. In theory anyways.

Another thing you could do is put one half the recording on one channel, the other half on the other. That takes some doing.

Looking at the bigger picture, it is kind of unclear what the OP wants.

To fit an 87 MB MP3 file into less space
To fit the audio from one 87 MB MP3 file onto one audio CD.

One other option is to not use MP3 if you can, but more modern codecs that are more efficient.