Wireless won't work with Laptop

Old 05-12-07, 02:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Wireless won't work with Laptop

Hi All,
I have a Verizon DSL, with a HP computer hard wired to the router. It works fine. I recently got a Lenovo laptop with wireless capability. The laptop sees my router, but when I try to connect, it says it received no response from my router. It sees and communicates with my neighbor's router though. What settings (if any) do I need to adjust so they can communicate? I cannot locate the Verizon paperwork that came with the DSL package, and calls to their tech support are an exercise in frustration.
I am not extremely computer literate, so please keep things as simple as possible.
Thanks for any help!

Old 05-12-07, 02:16 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has nothing to do with Verizon. If you can see and talk to your neighbors router then your neighbor is foolishly leaving his router wide open and he is subject to his computer being hacked and his Internet connection being used.

You probably need to enable wireless on your router and then, after you verify that you can make a connection you need to configure the security sdettings so that your router is effectively hidden as well as secure.

Old 05-12-07, 04:18 PM
Thanks Bob,
Yes, I agree that it is foolish for him to leave his wireless unsecured. Actually, two other neighbors also show up with unsecure networks! Crazy, huh?
As to my router, the wireless is enabled, as I could previously communicate with it from another desktop computer with a wireless card. (Sorry, forgot to mention that before).
Specifically, what settings would I need to check to get the router and the laptop to talk to each other? Would these settings be in the router, or in the laptop computer? After I can establish connectivity, I do want to make my system as secure as possible. Enabling WEP was mentioned to me, as well as disabling the SSID (?)
Thanks again for any ideas, Bob!

Old 05-13-07, 07:32 AM
R
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Logon to your account at Verizon's web site with the HP machine and hit Help. Click the DSL/Home Networking section (menu on the left side of the page). Scroll down to "More Home Networking Information" and hit "Securing your home wireless network." You should see a picture of your router. Click on it for specific instructions. Home routers are typically programmed by launching Internet Explorer and typing 192.168.1.1 as the address. This will connect you directly to the router. There are also online fixes and resets in the Verizon Troubleshooting section.

I'm wondering if someone else may have programmed the router to allow only a specific MAC address that doesn't match the laptop's? If so, turn off MAC filtering.

Temporarily disable WEP security until you verify that you can connect with the laptop. (If you share any resources on the HP, you may want to disable them temporarily as well.)

Don't disable SSID, but you may want to hide it after you've finished programming and securing everything.

(BTW, there are 17 unsecured wireless networks in my neighborhood. Some with shared drives and printers!)

Old 05-13-07, 07:47 AM
R
Just because you can see the names of other wireless networks does not mean they are not secured. Turning off broadcasting of the router name is only part of the process, and there are times when it isokay to have the name broadcast.

What is important is to make sure that you enable WPA2, WPA, or WEP so that your data is encrypted. Then I also recommend that you use MAC address validation.

However, start with no security and make aure that your laptop can connect. Test the hardware first. Then turn on security.

Old 05-16-07, 06:26 PM
Thanks folks, but no luck yet.
I checked all the ideas presented here, and even with all the security off, I can't connect. As I mentioned, the laptop sees my gateway, tries to connect with it, but says something like "No response received from gateway". I have tried every configuration I can think of, and no luck.

Since the laptop will easily connect with other wireless networks, would it be fair to assume the problem is with the Westell unit? Apparently this model is made expressly for Verizon, and Westell refers all questions to Verizon. Verizon has been of very little help; in fact, when I call their tech support, I can barely understand their english.

BTW- I noticed that the WIRELESS LED on the Westell Versalink 327 blinks all the time. Why?

Thanks for any other suggestions!

Old 05-17-07, 02:58 AM
R
Have you tried power cycling the router?

If the router has a reset button, you could try resetting it. That will reset the router back to factory defaults, but be advised that any and all configurations that were made to the unit will be lost, including any security encryptions you have setup.

Old 05-17-07, 05:35 AM
R
I also have a Versalink. I poked around the Verizon site when I first got it so I could better understand how their whole DSL process works. Verizon's troubleshooting section is a bit tough to navigate, but if you keep trying you should be able to find something. Try this link:

http://netservices.verizon.net/portal/link/help/item?linkflag=undecided&case=18247

Old 05-17-07, 10:27 AM
W
I'd have to disagree with your assertation that the neighbor is open to being hacked and your belief that it wouldn't happen if he was using WEP and/or had the SSID disabled.

Unfortunately, WEP is easily cracked using readily available tools and the SSID can still be found even if you disable it. The best thing to do is get a router that supports WPA if you're very serious about keeping other people off your WAN and lock down the router to only allow known MAC addresses.

The other options are just snakeoil in my belief.

Old 05-17-07, 01:06 PM
R
I too suggest that you reset the router and start over with it.

Old 05-17-07, 02:04 PM
Thumbs up

Success!
Google was my friend. It seems that the Versalink 327 router (Verizon's version) won't play nice with Vista. I found this info on the Dell site, even though my computer is a Lenovo. I followed the link to an obscure Verizon download that supposedly is an updated version of software for the 327 router. The download loaded successfully, but even after several tries, the installation failed. Nonetheless, enough new files must have corrected the problem, because it now works fine.
BTW- I have implemented WEP security. I may go further, but for now, that all I'm doing, since I have few neighbors, and I know all of them.
Thanks again guys!

Old 05-18-07, 04:07 AM
R
"It seems that the Versalink 327 router (Verizon's version) won't play nice with Vista."

Thanks for that info! One more reason why I won't be changing the OS anytime soon. For the record, though, I'll bet it would have raised several flags earlier on in this thread if you had mentioned you were using XP on the machine that worked and Vista on the one that didn't.

Here's an intersting bit of confusion: The Westell System Requirements lists the supported OS's: Windows 98 SE, Windows Millennium (Me), Windows 2000, Windows XP. Immediately below that, a disclaimer recommends that you upgrade to Windows XP and/or Vista ...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: