computer won't always start up

Old 05-21-07, 03:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
computer won't always start up

My uncle has a custom computer that does not always boot up. you press the power button and the fans and stuff come on but the screen does not. it does not boot up past the fans. you have to sometimes try a few times to get it to boot up all the way. sometimes it starts the first time. he took it to a repair shop they could not figure it out. one guy said a video card or it could be the P/S but hes not sure. Any suggestions. you can't tell what a problem is. you just have to replace parts till you get lucky any ideas what to tell him.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-07, 03:58 AM
Hold the F8 key down while it starts to enter Safe Mode. If it boots into Safe Mode it's probably a driver issue. Select "Enable Logging" and reboot without holding the F8 key. If it hangs again, reboot into Safe Mode and check the bootlog file to see where it hangs.

Old 05-21-07, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 26 Posts
Memory would be one possibility; if it has more than one "stick" of memory, try removing them one at a time (power OFF) and rebooting. Also a bad cmos battery might be a possibility

Old 05-21-07, 05:41 PM
the thing is.its random. you could boot it up and it will start all the way the first time or it may take some attempts. its not everytime

Old 05-21-07, 06:37 PM
How old is the computer? Flakey, random hangs sounds like bad capacitors. Google bad capacitors for visual aids to diagnosing them. I know that up to 3 years ago they were still installing the bad capacitors in computers, and for all I know they still are.

Rick's suggestion is a good one as well because knowing when it hangs is very helpful in fixing the problem. If no part of the operating system loads you know its probably a mother board problem. But if it hangs, for example when trying to load the video drivers you can focus your energy on that part of the system.

Finally I'd google the exact mother board model to see if others are having similar problems.

Old 05-22-07, 02:20 AM
What did the repair shop rule out in their investigation? Did they test the P/S? Were they able to consistently able to get it to boot to Safe Mode?

Old 05-22-07, 03:56 AM
Well what I mean by hangs is it don't start up. When you press the power button the fans come one and nothing else. No BEEPs and the screen never turns on. thats what happens when it does not want to work. Sometimes it starts the first time. The repair shop could not figure it out.I forgot what they said. but they could be the PSU could be the video card etc. Im not sure how old it is. And its a custom build.I will have to ask.

Old 05-22-07, 09:21 AM
What do you mean by custom built? There are computer shops out there that I call screw driver shops. They buy components and put the system together based on the customers desires for price and performance. Vs say buying an HP from Best Buy. Vs a machine built with custom designed electronics to control some sort of processing machine.

If your uncle's computer is a screw driver shop custom, then good for him. Its the best way to get performance and maybe save a little money. But it doesn't make the computer "special". If its got custom designed hardware, well that's a whole other game. (well not really, but it does add another layer of complexity)

Assuming its a screw driver shop custom, what mother board does it have? While your checking the model of the mother board check the capacitors. (this is just a visual check for swelling or leaking.) Based on what you are saying about the fans and no beeps the problem does not sound like either the power suppy or the video card.

If you paid the repair shop to diagnose the problem they should have been able to test the power supply and the video card. If you were asking for free advise, well it seems you got your money's worth <lol>