Can't play a DVD...

Old 05-22-07, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't play a DVD...

I recently bought a second-hand computer that has a dvd player.

Tonight I decided to try out the dvd player, but am unable to play my dvd.

When I first put the dvd in, I get a prompt asking me what I want Windows to do... Then I click on "Play dvd using Real Player." Then it says "Real Player needs to download new software to play this clip." So I then click ok...

Then I get a prompt that says "You must have dvd software installed on your computer to play dvd's. Please ensure that the dvd software that came with your computer or dvd drive is properly installed before attempting to play your dvd."

The I click on Tell me More...... and it says "RealOne Player is not able to find the software that came with your DVD drive. In order for RealOne Player to play DVDs or VOB files, you must first install the software that came with your drive. If you have already installed this software, it may be experiencing problems and you may need to reinstall it......If you need a DVD decoder (hardware or software) you may be able to find an appropriate decoder for you at one of the following sites. (Then it lists places I can purchase decoders.)

However, I don't have a copy of any of the software on my computer.

What do I do at this point?

p.s. It has a CD burner, but the DVD is just a DVD player (not a burner).

p.s. I don't know a whole lot about computers, but am guessing that's probably pretty obvious at this point.

Last edited by Marie12345; 05-22-07 at 11:55 PM. Reason: add more info
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-07, 02:59 AM
I don't know what kind of machine this is, so if it's a Mac you can stop reading now because I have no clue.

If Windows Media Player is an option in the list of programs, chose that and see if it plays the DVD. If you're missing a decoder, WMP is not shy about telling you that right upfront.

Old 05-23-07, 04:37 AM
The "lite" version of Nero and other burning software that comes with CD-R/DVD drives will play home-made DVDs, but probably won't play commercial DVDs without purchasing a license. Even if the video codec happens to be on your machine, the Dolby Digital decoder probably isn't. Commercial DVDs have Dolby Digital soundtracks, and Dolby is a licensed product. You may be able to watch the video without sound, and it may not show you why.

Old 05-23-07, 06:17 AM
I assume this computer is running Windows XP. You will need to purchase a DVD Player Plug-in. (Most computers usually include one of these, but if you can't find the disc you'll have to buy it). Here are three options, can't really recommend one over the other - any one of them would be fine.

$14.99
http://www.sonic.com/products/consumer/cineplayer/microsoft/plugins01.aspx

$14.95
http://www.intervideo.com/media_pack/jsp/Product_Profile.jsp?p=DVDXPack

$14.95
http://www.cyberlink.com/winxp_plugin/2007/enu/wmp.jsp

Nick

Old 05-23-07, 12:58 PM
Tx for the replies.

The computer is a Pentium 4, 2.5 GHz, and has Windows XP.

I looked in the add/remove programs part, and it has Nero 7 Essentials listed. Also - this morning I emailed the place I bought the computer from and they emailed me back saying: "I would recommend installing the following media player for playing DVD’s.

VLC Player

The program is available for free download from the following link:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

The DVD codec found in VLC may work with Real Player (Although I cannot confirm this)."

So I went to that vidolan link, did the download, and then when I try to play the dvd again, a prompt appears saying:

"Assertion failed. Program:C:\ProgramFiles\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe
File: vm.c
Line 1641

Expression: pgcit !+NULL

For information on how your program can cause an insertion failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts

Please Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled.

Any idea on what I'm doing wrong here? I have no clue what this even means.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Marie12345; 05-23-07 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-23-07, 06:56 PM
I use a progam called Hero DVD Player to watch DVDs on it can be found at
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Multimedia_and_Graphics/Animated_GIF_Editors/Hero_DVD_Player.html