Is this normal?

Old 05-23-07, 02:50 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Is this normal?

This will be a bit long, please bear with me.

When I originally got cable Internet access I connected a single computer directly to my cable modem. When not actively accessing the Internet the "PC Activity" lamp (LED) on the modem would be dark.

Subsequently I got VoIP service and the VoIP adapter was connected between the modem and the computer. When this was done the "PC Activity lamp on the modem was always lit. The WAN lamp on the VoIP adapter was always blinking and the LAN lamp on the VoIP adapter was dark unless the computer was active on the Internet. I assumed the "PC Activity" light was lit because of a (more or less) constant activity between the VoIP adapter and the Internet.

Some time later I got a second computer and added a router (D-Link model DI-604) between the VoIP adapter and the computers as directed by the VoIP instructions. With this arrangement the modem "PC Activity" lamp was lit, the VoIP WAN lamp was continuously blinking and the VoIP WAN light along with the router WAN light and individual computer lights would blink upon Internet activity with any computer. If the computers were off (shut down) the router LEDs would be on with the exception of the computer running WIN98SE (my laptop) which would only light its lamp on the router when actually running.

Fast forward to last week.

I discontinued my VoIP service and tried to install the router between the modem and the computers. It did not work. I could connect either computer (both running XP) to the modem and it worked fine. I tried different things and finally got the router to work but now the router WAN lamp blinks furiously and the modem "PC Activity" lamp is lit continuously. This is true even with the computers LAN cable disconnected from the router. Obviously the router itself is causing the activity.

My question is...Is it normal for my router to be constantly trying to connect to the Internet?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-07, 05:02 PM
Am I the only one that has two computers connected through a router to the Internet or is this so stupidly simple as to not warrant a response?

Old 05-26-07, 05:20 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I actually have 3 hooked to the internet via a router.

yes, my "pc acvtivity" blinks with the computers disconnected but the router still connected.

Got no clue what they are talking about but they sure seem to have a lot to say to each other.

I figured one of the more computer/internet tech savvy guys would hop in and explain but......

Old 05-26-07, 05:55 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how did you end up hooking everything up? it should go internet to modem, modem to router, and router to computers. What brand/model is the router?

Old 05-26-07, 05:55 PM
Thank you very much. I'll stop obsessing about it now.

Old 05-26-07, 05:58 PM
Tae, it is connected Comcast cable>3-way splitter>modem>router>computer.

Router is a D-Link model DI-604.

Old 05-26-07, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Every device that sits on the Internet is bombarded by traffic all the time. people are constantly probing to try to break into any computer they find, and there is just plain traffic, especially with shared connections like cable.

You are not complaining about anything that that is unusual or worth getting excited about.

Old 05-26-07, 06:10 PM
Thanks, Racraft. I just thought it strange that when the computer was connected directly to the modem (no router) the PC Activity lamp was only lit when the computer was actively accesssing the Internet. Even when booted up the PC lamp was dark until I clicked on a bookmark or otherwise connected. It would only blink long enough to pull up whatever site I was checking.

With the router in place it is furiously blinking 24/7 regardless of the computer activity.

I won't be too concerned anymore.