Pentium Dual Core vs Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo?

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-07, 08:33 AM
Question Pentium Dual Core vs Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo?

I'm looking to replace my desktop with a laptop. I'd like to stay sub-$1000 if possible, but that is negotiable. I really don't do much processor-intensive stuff except for basic digital photo manipulation and music, but I'm worried about getting something that will be effectively obsolete in the next few years. I found a nice-sounding Gateway at Best Buy with a Pentium Dual Core an 2G RAM that's right in my price range, but is it worthwhile to upgrade to Core Duo or Core 2 Duo? Also, what effect would these have on battery life and heat?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-07, 12:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Computer technology that exists when you purchase a computer, will be obsolete in a few months.

They no longer call "laptops", laptops. They are now called notebooks or desktop replacements. Sounds funny....lol...they do not call them laptops anymore because they get so hot, they can burn your legs. I cannot use this notebook on my legs for more then a few minutes without it start burning.

Anyways,

My personal opinion would be to stay far away from Gateway. They have been fighting Chapter 13 bankruptcy for years and years.

Notebook battery life is short. With the displays, and the processors, and the wireless networking, it drains the battery fast.

Obviously the more you spend, the better processor you are going to get.

Old 05-12-08, 11:05 PM
Laptops

Hi. I suggest you continue to shop around. Try web sites such as "www.geeks.com" - these guys have refurbs, used, and new. I will be buying my son and fiance a new notebook from them - and they have notebooks from $200 on up to $2,000. I'm in Ramadi, Iraq, so no tie-in with any company selling equipment. I have bought members of my family 6 desktop computer systems from Fry's Electronics over the years, all reburbs with sensible warranties and a significant price reduction. I've never had any problem with any one of those items. Consider, I bought a new Dell "laptop" with all the bells and whistles some time ago for over $4,000. I had that laptop for over 5 years before the display failed on me (in Baghdad). I sent it home, and it would have cost me more to repair it than what either of the notebooks I'm now going to buy will cost. Refurbs with warranty are a good bargain, but you will need to understand they may come with blemishes, or missing a part (battery?) you may have to purchase separately. One other caveat - stay away from "Maxtor" brand external hard drives. I bought a 350GB and had 2 years of files on it. It simply went belly up one day without warning - when I got on the net to troubleshoot the thing I was really disappointed to learn how many of them failed and all of my data was unrecoverable. I will now focus on flash drives only - which are now available in 32GB and 64GB sizes (but pricey !!) and are good for "10 years". Notebook heat? - they all get hot to some degree. Buy an inexpensive notebook stand - usually a plastic gadget that gets the notebook a few inches off the deck. Obsolete? They all are, the moment you buy them - desktops included. That's why you need to ensure up front the unit you select will contain what you can best anticipate your needs to be over its lifetime. I'm talking about the OS and Processor. You can get new software and/or upgrades anytime. Once you have made a selection, go online and google the notebook brand name for threads from actual users who have had problems with the same brand. One last point - before you buy any system with MS "VISTA" OS - you should go online and take a hard look at all the problems that users are having with it. My advice is to stick with hardware that comes bundled with XP. Good shopping. John

Last edited by knight_six; 05-12-08 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 05:11 AM
knight_six;
please use paragraphs. Your post is impossible to read.

Brick:
This doesn't answer your question, but stay away from BestBuy. If you do buy from them, STAY AWAY from any extended warranty or service plans they offer. Biggest rip-off in history.

Oh yeah, they still call them laptops.

Old 05-13-08, 06:57 AM
Ok first off yes they are still called laptops.....how many times have you heard someone say "hey, come here and look at my new notebook", you'd think they're talking about the shiney new trapper keeper they just got at walmart, geeze.

Point number two, if you're spending this much money, DON'T buy a refurb. Just look at it this way, you're buying someone else's problem that they sent back to the company. Get a new one that way you'll know everything that's happened to it.

Point 3, the term obsolete is relative. If you are producing movies for PIXAR, then yes your brand new "notebook" will be obsolete in two years or less. If all you're doing is web, pictures, and music, darn near anything will work for that. Heck, I've been using a P4 2.0Ghz laptop for several years and the only reason I upgraded recently is because I've had problems with the old one. With that said, IF you are spending the money, get a core2 duo, no a core duo or a pentium dual core. The Core2 duo is the latest mainstream chip from intel, buy anything else and you've already got obsolete equipment (relatively).

OS, go ahead and try Vista. I've been opposed to it for some time, but just bought a laptop this past weekend with Vista, and I must say it's growing on me. Sure the interface changes suck, but it does have some really cool multimedia stuff. Make sure you get one with at least 3 gigs of ram if you're getting Vista.

If you want to take a look at it, the laptop I bought, which is the best bang for the buck I could find is this one:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8221532

Sure there are other laptops out there with better hardware, but you're going to pay considerably more for what you're getting. And I must say the speed of this machine compared to other Vista machines I've used, appears to be quite fast. I have not been dissapointed with it's capabilities yet.

Oh yeah, heat is not an issue with this laptop either, battery life is not great, but what else is new?

Old 05-13-08, 02:41 PM
This post is over a year old........

And they are not called laptops anymore. They don't call them this because these new machines get so hot they burn peoples "laps". Dell calls them notebooks or desktop replacements.

Closed Thread