Need Help Booting

Old 06-04-07, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Help Booting

Hello and thanks for reading...

Last night my laptop locked up on me, and when I restarted it, I got the "We apologize" screen, and I have the choice to either pick:

-Safe Mode
-Safe Mode with Networking
-Safe Mode with Command Prompt
-Last Known Good Configuration
-Start Windows Normally

No matter which I choose, I get the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vgaoem.fon

It says I can attempt to repair by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

It doesn't work...as soon as I hit a key, the same cycle starts over again.

Any ideas? It is XP, btw.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-07, 08:09 PM
Start windows using the setup CD and repair the installation.

Old 06-04-07, 08:49 PM
Hi and thanks for the response. I am afraid that I have tried rebooting with the repair CD in the drive, and I get the same results.

Old 06-05-07, 05:41 AM
Go into the BIOS and set the boot order so that it boots from the CD (or DVD) drive first.

Old 06-05-07, 06:53 AM
Racraft,

How can I get into the Bios? I can't get out of the loop I described in the first post. It goes from the safe mode selection screen back to the screen that says the vgaoem.fon file is missing or corrupt...over and over again. I went to a website and created a boot cd, but it continues to do the same thing with the cd in the drive.

Old 06-05-07, 10:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Like racraft said, you need to boot from the CD.. Find out what key to press to get to BIOS setup BEFORE you get to the Windows start-up..

Old 06-05-07, 12:14 PM
Thanks.

I think I have been pressing the wrong key. I have been pressing F8, and it hasn't worked. I didn't realize that it can vary between manufacturers, and this is a Toshiba. I will try some others when I get off work. I now have a Windows XP installation disk.

Here is what I understand that I need to do:

1. Get to bios by pressing whichever key it takes to get there from the "Toshiba" load screen.
2. Change my boot order to "CD" first.
3. Insert the XP CD and restart the machine.
4. Re-install Windows.

Please reply if you see a problem with my plan. Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 06-05-07, 02:40 PM
Sometimes you press a function key to get to setup, sometimes you press delete, other times it may be a combination of keys. You will have to watch the startup screen and see what it says.

There may be an option to repair your present installation. That would be better than reinstalling if you have files you don't want to lose.

Old 06-05-07, 03:12 PM
The error filename suggests it's a font file for the video.. You might have to re-install the video drivers..

Old 06-05-07, 04:30 PM
I am pressing F8 and here are my options:

enable boot logging
enable vga mode
last known good configuration......
directory service restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure

start windoes normally
reboot return to OS choices menu

Which one will take me to BIOS?

Old 06-05-07, 04:35 PM
Never mind...got the BIOS with the escape key.

Old 06-06-07, 06:33 AM
Worse off now

I may be in worse shape now. A couple of IT guys at work gave me an XP disk (we produce computers) and told me that I need to just reinstall. They said when I get to the product key entry, just use the one on the bottom of my laptop. I did, and it will not accept it. Now I have a laptop that is halfway through the XP setup and waiting on a key.

Now I am at the point where I am going to either have to buy a copy of XP from my workplace or go buy Vista.

Old 06-06-07, 07:33 AM
Where is the Windows XP CD that came with your computer?

Old 06-06-07, 07:37 AM
This particular model did not come with a recovery CD. Of course I did not take the time to make one, either. I can buy one from Toshiba for $40, but can I still use it now that I have effectively wiped the image that used to be there?

Old 06-06-07, 09:18 AM
Lesson to be learned: Whenever you buy a computer, insist on it coming with a CD of the operating system. You may have to pay extra for it, but if you ever get in a situation like you are now in, it will be worth it.

The above is something that everyone should do, but few people do. Either they are ignorant, or they play the odds. The computer manufacturers want to save every penny they can, so they eliminate anything that costs them money.

Yes, buy the CD from Toshiba. You can just restart the installation from the beginning.

Your problem is that you are not installing the same version of XP that the key is for. It might be a difference in flavor (Professional, Media Center, or Home) and/or it might be a difference in OEM verses retail edition.

My advice is do not attempt to upgrade to Vista. That will be inviting problems. Vista requires (to run properly) 2 gigabytes of memory. You may not have that. Further you may have hardware that is not compatible with it, etc.

If you buy the recover CD from Toshiba, it will have the OS and it will also have the necessary drivers for your system.

Old 06-06-07, 01:25 PM
After you came here with the problem, and were told to do a repair of the system, why did you let the IT guys talk you into doing a reinstall?
Looks like you got yourself into a jam..

Old 06-16-07, 10:08 PM
One thing you can try if the operating system and the cd are the same. This will not work if you had xp home and the cd is xp professional or vice versa. Go ahead and call Microsoft. Explain to them that you have this cd and give them the serial number on the bottom of the computer. They will be able to give you a key that will work for that cd. If the versions are different, you either need to find on that is the same or buy a new one.