Internet Connection Sharing Win 2000

Old 06-07-07, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Internet Connection Sharing Win 2000

I'v got mobile broadband on my laptop and want to share the connection with a desktop. I tried it in a hurry last night and i got a configure message or something. I'm gonna go and try adding netbuie (spelling) protocol to the connection and see if it works then but my question is if all should be done and work as if i was sharing dsl or a dialup connection. Tnx

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 11:16 PM
.....still havent had much luck, or time, but seems ICS has a default ip to use at the "host" so i guess i need to play with that a bit....

Old 06-08-07, 11:12 AM
I don't know what other equipment is involved, but there is usually a wizard for this that will run from the control panel. Just the same, Window 2000 is not the friendliest release.

Old 06-08-07, 07:08 PM
Booming, Let me know if you get this working, if not I will install win 2000 on my test desktop here and run through the install of ICS and get you some step by step directions...

Old 06-09-07, 08:26 AM
Cool, ill do that. At this point I ran some proxy software and now I can use both connections at the same time so I'm sure with some fiddling ICS can do the same. I can connect to the laptop remotely but havent been able to share the connection at this point. I've got the laptop connected to the net through my wifi card and to the router through a nic card (win 2000 on laptop and xp on desktop). This is just one of those things that you cant stop till u get it or find out its just impossible. I dont have too much time to play with it but with what little i have I'm gonna figure it out one way or another . Also computers is just a hobby so my knowledge is limited. I'm gonna also try making a crossover cable and see if i can get the two nodes to work together and share the connection. The router part was something I just wanted to try also. Maybe if i make a server out of the laptop it will work through the router? Anyhow tnx and I'll keep ya updated and vice versa if you decide to play around with this also.

Old 06-16-07, 01:02 PM
Well finally got this working nice and dandy. I still havent had time to play with ICS's default IP of 192.168.0.1 but with a proxy program and after setting all the IP addresses its all working. To my suprise it's also working at a nice speed. I have, as stated in the last post, my laptop connected to the net using wireless and then connect to the router via the lan connection with a crossover cable i had to make. I set all the ip and other numbers in the router and bam it all worked. I also had to set some port numbers to use ports specified by the proxy program which was a little over for me so i'll have that to study and play with now. Only thing now is a game/mmorpg i play online doesnt seem to like the proxy thing and doesnt connect as if theres no connection so if anybody has used these proxy programs some help would be cool.