USB Mass Storage problem

Old 12-20-04, 06:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
USB Mass Storage problem

Hi. I have been trying to download pics from a new olympus camera via USB 2.0, but it is not working. I tried it on my daughter's computer, and it worked like a charm. I have an HP, 2.8g with XP Home, she has a Dell 2.8g with XP Home.

I think the problem may be the USB Mass Storage. I had the "safely remove hardware" icon in the tray (even though I had no hardware or cards to remove) and so I opened it and stopped the "USB Mass Storage Device". I get a message that says it is now safe to remove hardware, but I have nothing to remove.

I then went to Ctrl Panel -> System -> Universal Serial Bus Controller, and the USB Mass Storage Device now has a yellow exclamation point. I right clicked it, went to properties and got this message:

Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

The trouble shooter tells me the same thing, "unplug device...", but I have nothing to unplug, eject, or otherwise remove.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post.

Old 12-21-04, 04:30 AM
R
You can unplug the memory card reader and plug it back in.

Or you can simply reboot your computer.

Old 12-21-04, 04:51 AM
D
Received 12 Upvotes on 10 Posts
If you have rebooted the machine with no luck, go back to device manager and right click on the device and select uninstall. Then reboot and plug the camera in and see what happens.

Old 12-21-04, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the help. Once I uninstalled it (rebooting made no change) and rebooted, xp reinstalled my internal card reader, and it's okay now.

Unfortunately, I guess that wasn't the problem, as the camera still won't load properly. I even tried a USB card reader, but ran into the same trouble.

I found an olympus forum, so I'll see if anyone there has come across this situation.

Again, thanks for the help. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them, if not, have a great holiday.

Old 12-26-04, 06:21 PM
P
usb

Are you using the direct cable or thru the card reader? I also have an olympus camera (C725) I upload my pics with the direct cable from camera to usb port. I have the card reader that plugs in to the usb port, butt have never got that to work!

Paul A

Old 12-27-04, 08:24 AM
I tried the usb cable, but computer would not recognize camera. There is a built in card reader on my computer, but it is not compatible with the newer "XD" cards, so I also tried a "Lexar" usb card reader for xd cards, but computer would not recognize that either. I tried a few suggestions I found at the olympus forum, yet nothing worked.

Anyway, I returned the camera and purchased a panasonic FZ20 which uses cards compatible with my internal card reader - much happier now. This was a Christmas gift for my wife and I didn't want to spend any more time trying to figure this out.

As it turns out, if I use the USB cable, my computer won't recognize this camera either . I obviously have some driver issues, because these are all (olympus, lexar, and panasonic) supposed to be pre-installed in XP.

Oh well, I will look into it when I get time.

Thanks for the reply Paul and have a great new year.

Old 12-27-04, 11:07 AM
B
I think I know why you can't use the card readers.

If you use the card reader, the computer treats the reader like any other storage device. You don't look for the reader in "my camera".

For example: your floppy drive is A: your hard drive is C: Your cd-rom is D: You have no other drives. Now attach the reader to a usb port. The computer will treat this as drive E: You may see words like removable storage next to it. On a compact flash, the pictures are in a folder a couple levels deep.
Click on the drive. Click on the folder. Click on the next folder and you will see the pics.

This is what praxius has, though being built-in, the computer may call it something other than E: My printer has 4 slots for pic media. My computer sees that like any other drive, though on my computer is drive H: since I have so many others. My reader is drive G: When I plug in a jump drive its drive I:

BTW - I never hook up my camera to the computer. I always use a card reader. Its faster than using the camera.

As for hooking up the camera directly - have you loaded the software that came with the camera?

Old 12-27-04, 04:47 PM
P
reader

(not the original poster) I understand about the reader being seena as storage device but when I plug my reader in (with or without the card in it) nothing shows up, and I know the usb works because the camera works plug in direct and I have a usb storage drive that works. Guess I should have taken the reader back to begin with!

Paul A

Old 12-27-04, 06:20 PM
Hi Bob.

That is not the case with me either. When I plug the reader (or camera) into the USB, I get a "New Hardware" notification, and then the hardware wizard shows up. I go through the installation, but at the end it tells me that the hardware could not be installed-could not locate software.

According to the installation instructions (for each device I tried) I am not required to install any software drivers, nor do they give me any, they are supposed to be pre-installed with XP.

I tried to get updated drivers at the Olympus and Lexar sites, but none were available.

This is the first time I tried the USB slots since SP2, so that could possibly have something to do with it.

Any way, my internal card reader works great, and I agree that it is the best way to download pics, so I can live with this for now.

Thanks for the input.

Old 06-15-07, 07:09 AM
V
Thumbs up

I had the same problem with transferring pics from an Olympus D-395 and went through the everything you had.. tried to transfer from the camera itself, then a card reader.. What I tried was this.. I inserted the card reader and once I got that "safely remove hardware" icon, I clicked on it to see the USB mass storage device and what drive letter was assigned, in my case, drive F and figured out that perhaps I could bypass looking for it in "my computer" and just click Start>Run and type in the new drive letter F with a colon.. F: and click ok.. a page came up with a folder, clicked on that and seen a another folder that was labeled with my camera's name. I opened it and found the pictures and simply dragged them into my picture folder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: