Setting Up 2 Profiles In XP Pro

Old 06-11-07, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Setting Up 2 Profiles In XP Pro

My work/hobbies involve video & audio editing.

I would like to set up 2 profiles -- 1 as Adminstrator (this exists now since I am the only user of the machine) and a second one with Administrator rights but minimal programs/resource users loaded at startup.

1) I don't need internet access or networking for the editing functions. I would also like to shut down my virus scanner and firewall. Is it possible to set up one profile with no networking and another with?

2) The last time I tried this (two profiles), XP ignored my current settings (Administrator) and set everything to DEFAULT. I have read that once another profile is created, the lone 'Administrator' one disappears so this was normal. Can I somehow transfer or copy my current settings to a new profile?

3) What about hardware profiles? Do they 'follow' user profiles? ie. can I set up a minimal profile that only loads necessary gadgets?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-07, 11:04 PM
Little much to explain so try these

1) http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

2)http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

3) 'see above'

Old 06-12-07, 06:56 AM
Hmmm, not as easy as I thought judging by the Microsoft 'help' page

A good start though ... thanks Boom

Old 06-12-07, 06:59 AM
Editor,

Your best bet is to take this one step at a time. Start by creating yourself a second profile. then you can disable all of the services and network connections you want disabled. Have you created a second profile yet?

Old 06-12-07, 07:16 AM
No, I haven't created a second profile yet because of my past experience with that process. Right now I am trying to learn as much as I can before trying again.

As I mentioned, I found that when I created a new profile, my original Administrator profile 'disappeared' (an XP 'feature'). I managed to get everything back to where it was.

Our IT guy here at work showed me that it is possible to copy settings from user to user but this procedure depends upon the fact that multiple accounts were set up from the start. When I installed my XP Pro, I opted for only a single Administrator profile.

Am I correct in assuming that if I make all this work, I can have a profile with no network connection and therefore no need for virus scanners/firewalls?
... or do I have to physically disconnect the machine from the router?

Old 06-12-07, 08:00 AM
you can create a new profile and disable all the services that control networking so firewall and virus scanning devices are not necessary is just tricky. If you would like, you can call me and I can walk you through the changes. you will not loose your ADmin profile you just may see some changes in the way you login to your computer.

you can call me at [phone number removed] that is a cellular.

kevin

Last edited by racraft; 06-12-07 at 11:24 AM. Reason: phone numbers not allowed in posts.
Old 06-12-07, 10:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Now why the heck would you put your cell phone number on the internet?
Ever hear of Private Messages?

Old 06-12-07, 11:04 AM
maybe because i truly dont care who calls....i do have VM for a reason

Old 06-12-07, 11:26 AM
Phone numbers are not allowed to be posted. It's not allowed by the rules, and it's a good way to get unsolicited phone calls. You may think you don't care, but you will care.

Old 06-14-07, 06:10 PM
Kevin:

I appreciate the intent ... & the wisdom. Terrorism works because some of us want it to.

Thank you for the offer of help.