Cable internet hardware questions

Old 06-14-07, 05:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cable internet hardware questions

I am thinking of adding internet access to my cable service and getting rid of my unreliable home telephone service and dial-up internet connection. What I need to know up front is what to purchase before making the switch. There are three computers in my house that will be internet-connected, so I will need a cable modem and router (or a two-in-one unit). Will I also need a splitter of some sort, to send the internet portion of the cable signal to/from the modem?
Also, I understand I can choose between wired and wireless routers. Won't each computer need a network interface card (or some other way to connect to the router) either way? And if so, which is going to be more expensive? I mean, I will drop network cable all over the house if it would save significant money over wireless! Although wireless WOULD be pretty cool...
Anyway, any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

Old 06-14-07, 05:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a Motorola modem and a D-link router.. The cable company will install the splitter for you.. I suggest you keep at least 1 computer wired to the router in case you plan to purchase over the I-net.. Wired is faster than wireless, and can't be compromized..

It's totally up to you if you want to run network cable all over the house..
You can purchase the modem, or rent it from the cable co.. Many times, you can get the modem free with new service connection..

Old 06-14-07, 06:29 AM
Thanks, AxlMyk. Cable company says the modem is my responsibility. They'll sell me a new or used one, but I think I can do better than their deal on eBay or pricewatch.
I had been leaning toward network cable anyway; since you say it's faster than wireless and more secure, I think that's the way I'll go. That will mean each computer needs its own network card, right?

Old 06-14-07, 07:24 AM
You got it right..

Old 06-14-07, 08:03 AM
R
A wired connection is NOT faster than a wireless one. The bottleneck is the Internet connection, which is slower than either a wired or wireless intranet.

A wired connection can be compromised just as easily as a wireless one. Don't think that by going wired you don;t need security.

Buy yourself a cable modem that meets your specs. Many places of the country do not allow you to supply your own, but it sounds like you live somewhere that does.

Buy yourself a router. I recommend a wireless one even if you plan to go totally wired. You can always turn OFF the wireless portion until you want it. Make sure that you buy a router that includes a firewall.

Each computer needs a network adapter. Most new computers already have one for a wired connection. If you have to buy them, buy them from the same manufacturer as the router.

Regardless of whether you go wired or wireless, enable and use every bit of security on the router and in each PC, including anti-virus software and a software firewall on each PC.

Old 06-14-07, 12:10 PM
I quess I should have been a bit more specific..
A wired connection is faster if transferring files from one machine to another..

Both wired/wireless can be compromized.. The difference being wireless can be broken into by someone next door, sitting in a car down the road, as well as from the I-net..

Old 06-15-07, 12:04 AM
B
I'd go wireless.. buy a combo router/modem with firewall and turn on the security feature on the router/modem itself. Once youve enabled the wpa or wep key, wichever feature you'll have. You'll have to buy wireless nic cards for each pc but heck nowadays they don't cost too much. With the wep/wpa key on the average monkey cant get into you network, it'd be almost as easy or as hard as getting into your wired network.

Old 06-16-07, 05:20 PM
tae
get a wired/wireless combo router..wired is always good..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: