html help

Old 06-16-07, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
html help

Good morning. I am at a loss regarding the proper format for html. I have been told that I am putting the wrong text between my <title></title> and thusly my site cannot be indexed on a freepage. At first I put my title
name, then at the end put "index.html" {without the quotes}> Example: Home Page index.html. In my file saved, I am using lower case, no spaces, and index.html. Example: homepageindex.html
I have noticed the some title pages do not have "index.html" and some do, as with the file name, some have "index.html" and some do not. {no quotes} I have read html how to's and each seems to have a different opinion. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-07, 12:45 PM
Im not too sure what your asking but sounds like you want your page to say something bout being the home page index as the "title" and if so i dont think you need to put ".html" in there just put <title> Home page Index</title>. As far as i know saving it with .html is like saying theres a file there if that makes any sense.... kinda like stickin a clip in there, it would be homepageindex.avi but it wouldn't show the file extension. Of course theres more to it than that to stick a file in there but just trying to put it in lamens terms. The file as a whole would be saved the way your trying as an html file. Hope that helps.

Old 06-16-07, 02:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you were to click on View - Page source you would find this in the DIY page..
<title>html help - DoItYourself.com Community Forums</title>

From the screen that comes up click Edit - Find - and enter title and it will show several usages of it..

Here is a good link
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/reference/article.php/3472851

Old 06-17-07, 06:05 AM
Title tags tell the browser to put what's between them in the Title Bar at the top of the window. It's also used as the title text when adding a page to Favorites or Bookmarks.

Sites can use the title for the index, but including the filename in the title isn't necessary. Just like Favorites, they will automatically associate the title with the url, which includes the filename.

Notice as you change pages in this site that the title bar includes "DoItYourself.com" and a page title or brief description. If you add any of the pages to your Favorites, you'll see that the entry has both the title and the url.

You should also include the optional Meta tags for Keywords and Description on your pages. It will help propagate your site on the search engines.

Old 06-17-07, 07:20 AM
Rick: How do I do this "quote" "
You should also include the optional Meta tags for Keywords and Description on your pages. It will help propagate your site on the search engines."
Regards, Spark

Old 06-17-07, 07:34 AM
Sorry Rick, I forgot another question. Should my "filename " be just "index.html" {without quotes} or should it also contain the text that I have in the title with "index.html"
Regards, Spark

Old 06-17-07, 10:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Homepage is called index.html

Old 06-18-07, 05:29 AM
The method is in the site you referenced.

On every page in the site, copy and paste this into the code somewhere between <head> and </head>:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Keywords" CONTENT="keyword1, keyword2, ...">

Replace keyword1, keyword2, ... with words or short phrases that someone might type into a search field to find your site. Make sure each word or phrase is followed by a comma (except the last one). Don't use commas in the phrases. The quotes after the equals sign and before the > are required.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Description" CONTENT="Describe your site here....">

Same thing here. Replace Describe your site here ... with your own description. You can use commas and other punctuation. Try and keep it short and to the point. Again, the quotes are required.

Old 06-30-07, 03:04 PM
Thank you all for your replies, you have all been a great help