removing OS to install different

Old 06-22-07, 05:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing OS to install different

I have a computer that I am giving to someone. It will only be used for emailing. It is a compaq computer. It presently has Windows ME on it. It doesn't run very good. Lots of problems with WinME. I want to delete that and install a copy of Win98 that I have. What is the easiest way to do this? Should I format the hard drive? If I just try to install 98 I think it will say new version of windows is installed and won't let me. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-07, 05:40 AM
Install..

Formatting the hard drive and then installing 98 from the CD will give you a clean install. If the PC will not boot from a CD, I believe 98 also comes with a floppy disk that can be used to start the install.

If your computer is not setup to boot from CD, you can change that in the BIOS Setup.... You can enter the BIOS setup on most machines by pressing a special key when booting. The key to press should be displayed on the screen when it is booting. The key is normally one of the function keys..

Old 06-22-07, 05:49 AM
Yes, you must reformat the hard drive and start over. Personally, I would use a program to overwrite the hard drive with random data first, so that I was sure that it was completely clean, and then I would format and install the OS. Just remember that it's possible that you will need to download and install different drivers for the hardware.