HDD enclosure or drive shot?

Old 08-06-07, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HDD enclosure or drive shot?

Hello everyone,
I imagine this will be a long post. We have two 3.5 external usb drive enclosures. I had an old IBM Deskstar 10GB drive laying around so we were gonna use that to store pictures. Wiped the drive, no OS, used for storage only. Been using it fine and hasn't been dropped. Wife put all our pictures on it yesterday and it stopped working......figures.

We have tried the drive in both enclusures and the result is the same - the enclosure isn't even recoginized by either computer (desktop running MCE and laptop running Vista). Tried to eliminate the actual USB cable from the equation by using a printer cable, no difference. We then removed the drive from the enclosure, set the drive to slave (don't know if she tried cable select) and put it in the desktop and the drive wasn't recognized in BIOS. The drive does spin up but makes no other noise but it spun in the enclosure too.

What are the opinions? Both enclosures not working or drive toast? I didn't look in the desktop but she said she hooked the drive to an IDE cable one of the cd drives used and I would have thought if the drive was ok the bios would have seen something. Need to try cable select?

Old 08-06-07, 01:18 PM
M
Originally Posted by duigoose
What are the opinions? Both enclosures not working or drive toast? I didn't look in the desktop but she said she hooked the drive to an IDE cable one of the cd drives used and I would have thought if the drive was ok the bios would have seen something. Need to try cable select?
You went well beyond what I would normally try already. Typically I won't go beyond trying the second enclosure. You sure could try it out, but it sounds like you are beating a dead horse, er, HDD in this case.

Old 08-06-07, 02:39 PM
If this drive didn't hold every digitial pic we have I wouldn't have gone that far with it (plus i'm good at beating dead horses as well as other stuff :-). We bought the second enclosure because we thought the first one was just junk and didn't work.
I'm probably gonna try the cable select route then if that don't work have to pay someone to try and recover my pictures. Any DIY suggestions there? Cross fingers the C/S route will work.

Old 08-06-07, 03:32 PM
If you have a cable select cable, then you might need to set the drive to cable select.

I haven't played around with cable select too much, because I always want to be sure to tell the system exactly what I want it to do.

See if you can scrounge up an old standard IDE ribbon and set the drive to slave.

I had a similar problem with an old 3.2 gig drive. The old system would recognize it, but my win xp system would not. Almost as if the drive was too small or something.

Jim

Old 08-06-07, 05:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
CS works like master/slave.. If both are set to CS, the drive on the end of the ribbon is master, the one in the middle is the slave..
There is no difference in the ribbon cable..

Old 08-06-07, 07:43 PM
R
this may be a stupid question, but have you tried a different ide cable?

i'd also check the connectors on the back of the drive, make sure all the pins are there. i've had old hard drives with missing pins.

rob

Old 08-07-07, 08:09 PM
M
Using 2 different enclosures pretty much rules out the ATA cable.

I guess I assumed since you just copied them off that you still had them on the original drive. If the mechanical pieces of the drive works (ie. it spins up and the read/write head arm works), then it could be a corrupt file system. Some repair utilities can recover them. I used to use Norton for that, but I've been away from such utilities for a while.

Old 08-08-07, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the replies and thoughts. The pictures were deleted from the various drives after being put on this one external drive otherwise this wouldn't be a problem.....the drive just stopped showing up moving from one computer to the other. It was seen by both computers in the past. I agree, I can see how this old drive might not be seen by the newer computers going straight to the ide cables. We thought one of the enclosures was bad anyway (that is why we bought the second one) and were thinking we are just getting cheap enclosures. All the pins are there, no didn't try another ide cable because the two dvd drives that were hooked up to it were working and more importantly I thought I was done playing with computers and got rid of all my spare parts at the last garage sale....again, that is my luck. I can't use a software recovery because I cant get the drive to show up anywhere.....its like it might as well be in another room....just not there.

We called several data recovery places and have another enclosure on the way. One 'old school' guy was thinking one of the chips on the circuit board and thought he could fix it so he has it right now. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Old 08-08-07, 09:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Here are a few links that may help..
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1139
http://www.recovermyfiles.com/?file=RecoverMyFiles-Setup.exe
http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2005/12/hard-drive-recovery-utilities-when-you.html

Old 08-08-07, 12:20 PM
small update

(Axl, I checked out those links and will keep them in mind for future reference but that was my problem.....the drive is not recognized by anything anywhere so a software fix won't help. It starts up and spins due to power but there is no communication to the computer). I found another drive tucked away here at the house and we tried it in the enclosure......it worked which eliminated the enclosure as the problem. Still waiting to hear from the data recovery guy.

Old 08-08-07, 02:01 PM
R
I think you killed the drive when you moved it too much.

If it were me I would never have tried to use a leftover drive that old.

One other warning, that you figured out yourself, never trust a single copy of anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: