http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/6985/

DX 10 is being replaced and causing major video card problems:
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/6977/

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-07, 06:30 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Can't actually believe this would be true, but I heard a rumor that Vista is so bad Microsoft is going to scrap it. Never heard a story like that about any other OS.

Old 08-20-07, 06:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yea, I got this new laptop with Vista and a ATI card. I've had issues with it from day one. I'm getting ready to put my XP Pro back on.

Vista is also unbelievably slowwwwww......I had XP installed on the same spec machine and it ran 5x faster.

Old 08-21-07, 03:58 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Do either of you know the claimed advantages to Vista over XP? What's supposed to be so good about it? What does it do that XP doesn't?

After reading WAY too much about Vista and all of its problems, I can't see any reason to change.

Old 08-21-07, 04:29 AM
From what I noticed, security is enhanced.. It constantly asks you, "Are you sure you want to do this"? Gets to be a bother after the third time.. It can be turned off, but try to find the switch..

Old 08-21-07, 05:23 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
All those warnings provide another layer of security - after a while, you're so tired of the warnings that you quit doing anything that will prompt one.

Old 08-21-07, 05:11 PM
Rick,

I see no advantages to going Vista. It took me awhile to figure out how to adjust the security settings. It asked you permission everytime you clicked on something.

Reminds me of those Mac vs. PC commericials......."Are you sure you want to open the calculator?"

I only could get this machine with Vista, didn't even give me an option for XP. Luckily have I have a bulk licensed XP Pro disk.

Old 08-21-07, 07:02 PM
I remember upgrading from 98se to ME, because everyone said it was the hottest thing out there. Well, we all found out otherwise...LOL

From what I see vista has too many bells and whistles to be very stable.

If you're worried about security just be careful what you do and be sure you know what you're doing.

If you want vista, but not all the extra baggage, there is a vista emulation pack you can install.

Just my $.02

Jim

Old 08-21-07, 11:49 PM
S
i actually run the vista emulation pack youre talking about.... i still have my XPSP2, but it LOOKS like Vista... for me, thats enough... all i really wanted was the start menu, and the clock, and i got a few extras... explorer menus, screen savers, pics, some others too.... definitely worth it... AND I GOT TO KEEP THE STABILITY AND SECURITY OF XP compared to vista... ive only heard of problems with vista anyways, a friend of mine cant even get it to connect to his broadband account through comcast... they told him to send his BRAND NEW laptop to microsoft and see why it wont connect...

Old 08-22-07, 04:18 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Good stuff. Thanks.

BTW, ATI is notorious for being late to the party with drivers for new OS releases. Worse, their stuff doesn't play nice with computer/projector and computer/Extron interfaces.