Wireless Router Question

Old 08-22-07, 11:32 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless Router Question

I have a home network with 4 computers connected via a wireless router. (Three of these are hardwired while the laptop is wireless) When I interact with the internet (via one of the hardwired computers) is my info be broadcast or just when I use the (wireless) laptop?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-07, 04:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No, your wired machines are not using the wireless.

You should have secured your router with the proper encryption, correct? I know all my neighbors have not secured their routers and I can log into them and use there connection, I mean I could.

Old 08-22-07, 04:54 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Why would at least the info being sent to the computers not be available wireless. Is there something in the router that can distinguish the fact that a computer is hard wired v. wireless?

I would think that all the info the router disburses would simply be sent both wireless and via the correct port.

Old 08-23-07, 05:44 AM
R
A router has software that controls it's operation. It incorporates "switch" technology rather than "hub" technology.

When routing outgoing packets to the Internet, there is only one place to send them, only one path that leads out to the Internet.

When packets come in from the Internet, they are destined for one computer. The router has learned where that computer is located, and only sends the packet down one path. This path is either the hard wired connection for that computer or the wireless path.