Uploading a large file

Old 08-22-07, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Uploading a large file

Hi,

Does anyone know how I could upload a 500Mb file somewhere on the net for free?? I want to send this file to someone and my email server is telling me that the file size is too large. I do not want to send it through snail mail.

Thanks,

sweetboy

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-07, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thats a fairly large file. The only way I can see it being done is by uploading it using FTP software to a server. I do not think it can be done through any email.

USPS can have it at your friends doorstep in 2-3 days, so it's not snail mail.

You may also try a program like Limewire. You can connect to a specific IP (your friends) and he can upload it from your comp. It may take some time, but could be done.

Old 08-22-07, 05:22 PM
I would try the limewire route, have you tried compressing the file maybe.

Old 08-22-07, 05:56 PM
All the ones I know of will require breaking it down. You'll have to split it into pieces with either zip, winrar, or HJsplit, among others. Then upload them to something like rapidshare (for free) and send the link to your buddy. He can download it for free and put it back together using the same programs. Generally you can get them as shareware or difinitely a trial version. Google them and see.

Old 08-22-07, 06:56 PM
Received 111 Votes on 101 Posts
yousendit.com will allow up to 100 Mb for free. If you want to pay you can send up 2Gb.

Old 08-22-07, 09:56 PM
I second the suggestion by hotinokc.

FTP or limewire...or USPS.

Commpress it first if you can.

Jim

Old 08-23-07, 01:35 AM
megaupload dot com will allow 500MB filesizes, and you can have your friend download it from there... it may take your friend registering an account so that the download can be supported by a download manager to make things easier, but its probably the easiest way...

Old 08-23-07, 08:13 PM
You can use ICQ

I use ICQ for instant messaging and file transfer (www.ICQ.com). It is free and when both parties are connected, you can transfer files of any size. The file transfer is directly from one computer to the other. You are limited to your slower upload speed so it will take 5 to 10 times longer than it would take for you to download it from a typical web server. I have sent files over 4GB in size with no problem.

If you have a firewall set up, you may have to adjust the settings for ICQ to work properly.