Networking?? Sharing a Printer?? HOW TO?

Old 08-25-07, 07:43 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Networking?? Sharing a Printer?? HOW TO?

Hello all. I am trying to get my network to share my computer. Right now I have the office computer which is running XP, hooked up to the router(westell that came w/ my verizon serv.) My laptop is a Toshiba that is running Vista. I got on Verizon help and I did find something that I think I might need. It is called Client for Microsoft Networking, or something to that effect. I added a printer that I want to share and made it a network printer. So that means now I have 2 printer Icons under Control Panel>Printers. Is this right??
Other than that, this is as far as I got. I don't think I have that Client thing on my computer. How do I get it if I don't?? I tried Microsoft.com and my dell/windows XP reinstallation cd and nothing. Hope you guys can help.
After this I want to be able to share some of my files. So I will need help w/ that. ThANKS!!!!!!

Old 08-25-07, 08:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sharing can get confusing. You have to make sure file sharing is enabled on both machines, and that both machines are using the same workgroup. Too see workgroup, go to your control panel, then system. Most systems are defaulted to WORKGROUP, just verify both machines are the same.

Old 08-27-07, 05:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 173 Upvotes on 135 Posts
You've got a router. Pick up a print server for about $60-70, plug it into the router, attach printer to print server, install included software on computers. Voila! Shared printing.

Couple of examples:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS121.aspx

http://www.usr.com/products/networking/networking-product.asp?sku=USR7500A

Old 08-27-07, 08:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'm with Tow Guy, a print server is the way to go and isn't that expensive and is so much easier and reliable than sharing. With the printer server, you also get the added benefit of no longer having to leave the computer that your shared printer is attached to running.

Either that, or buy a network enabled printer or a network adapter if your printer offers that option. Even easier than a print server.

Old 08-27-07, 01:29 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info. I would rather try to figure out the cheaper way!! LOL I am not cheap by any means but why buy something I technically don't need. All the stuff I need is somewhere, I just can't find it or figure it out!! LOL Well I am going to look into the server though. I just bought this all in one HP printer and I love it. WELL THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: