Bad Recordings on CD-R's

Old 08-26-07, 05:41 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad Recordings on CD-R's

Ripped some music files off home made disc utilizing Nero Ultra and then tried to make another CD-R using Nero, Listened to it on Windows XP and sounds good.
Put in in DVD player connected to TV and sounds distorted. Made extra copy of this by doing "copy CD" utilizing Nero once again, and this copy doesn't play at all on another DVD player.

I have encountered problems like this using Verbatim CD-R's. Is this a quality of the disc thing, or could it be burner is at fault.

I realize that from time to time DVD players need to be cleaned with a commerically available drive cleaner over time. Does a DVD burner also need to be clean by the same means.?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-07, 04:11 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It can't hurt to clean the DVD & CD players & drives. You could also have a batch of bad discs. I once found about 20 out of a pack of 50 CDs that weren't fully coated, and half a pack of DVDs that had gouges around the edges.

The next time you burn a disc, try slowing the burn to 16x. I have to do that to get 'em to play in the old CD player in my boat.

Old 08-27-07, 04:53 AM
W
Bad Recordings on CD-R's

Thanks for your repy, but still need to know if I should use cleaner to clean the burner drive in my windows xp

Old 08-28-07, 04:16 AM
R
I have used the cleaning disc with no problems.

Old 08-28-07, 07:04 PM
W
Bad Recordings on CD-R's

By the way could the problem have been because I burned mp3 along with wma files on same disc. The second dvd player belonged to my granddaughter and maybe its not mp3 compatible. Mine is though, and plays a little distorted, but my original recordings may have been recorded at too high an input volume. Never had problems before though.

Old 08-29-07, 01:57 AM
R
Most players have the compatibilities listed as logos somewhere on the device. If you don't see MP3, WMA or Compact Disc on a DVD player, it's probably not able to play those discs.

" ...my original recordings may have been recorded at too high an input volume."

0dB on a computer is not the same as 0dB on a cassette deck. When a recording hits 0dB on a cassette, you still have 6dB or so of headroom before the program starts distorting. Not so with computers. When that DBFS level meter rises above 0dB, it means PURE distortion. It's best to record with the program peaking at -6dB and "Normalize" the files as you burn them to disc.

The Normalize process scans each file and raises its overall level so the peaks hit 0dB. If you need the overall volume to be louder, use an audio editing program to compress the files before burning. (And again, don't let that level meter hit 0dB!)